Probate problem with useless solicitor - advice needed

glasto

My father died two years ago, I'm his sole heir.

The solicitor I appointed has been utterly useless, they only charged me half price for processing probate as they made so many mistakes.

They are now delaying the sale of my father's apartment, and the purchasers are getting cold feet, although fingers crossed that will be fine. I did ask the solicitor to ring me yesterday as usually his 'girls' do all the work. He didn't ring me, and got someone else to do it, he didn't even respond to my email.

Anyway, before dad died he retired, and only got a tiny pension, despite the fact he had paid in all his life.

I told the solicitor to look into this, and he assured me verbally that all avenues would be explored. Nothing came of it, until I got a call at the a few days ago, a financial advisor was looking for me. As dad would be coming up to 65 had he lived, the pension people were looking to track him down. They were told he had died, so have contacted me. Apparantly I am entitled to a lump sum. This is great news of course, but surely my solicitor should have tracked this down?

As yet, I haven't told them about it, but it will obviously be part of probate. But probate would have been closed off months ago, had it not been for my solicitors delays and incompetence! What should I do? Is this work seeking legal advice over?

I can't help thinking if it hadn't been for a series of coincedences, this money could have been lost ( I live in Ireland, dad lived in the north), and I am not entirely convinced that all monies have actually been traced now.

Any advice much appreciated.

"Incompetent solicitor" is not likely to work as a title. Please expand it and make it relevant to your question.

see here:
How to edit a post

For 24 hours after posting, you can edit the post to correct typos or add new information.

Click on the edit button which is at the bottom or a post.

You can edit a thread title at the same time, by

Edit
Go Advanced
Thread title

But this facility disappears after 24 hours

How to edit a thread title on an old post

Go to the forum in which your thread appears e.g. Savings and Investments
Double click in the white space in the title box but not on the title itself
The title will be highlighted and you can overtype it.

(If you click on the title you will be brought to the thread)

Brendan
Administrator

See also the .

It is not uncommon for accounts or property to be discovered after the completion of an administration.

This might be a matter which you may be able to resolve yourself (assuming your are the executor/administrator of the estate). It would be worth contacting the relevant company and ask them what their requirements are to pay out the lump sum.

It might be a case where a corrective affidavit may need to be filed. If the rest of the estate has already been dealt with there would be nothing stopping you from instructing another solicitor to assist you.

With regard to any other monies which were not traced, usually these would identify themselves i.e. banks will nearly always send out a statement each year for any accounts held. You can keep an eye on any correspondence coming to your fathers address and maybe redirect it if you are selling the property.

Back