Probate in old estate

Twoflutes

Hi
I am actually seeing a solicitor this week but thought i would throw the situation out there to get peoples views
My grandfather died some 20 years ago. He made a will to his land and house basically it said that his son (my father) would have a life interest in the estate and that myself and my brother were to inherit the estate outright. It seems like an oddish way to do things but thats the way it was done. My uncle was named as executor, he took out probate but died soon after and never got round to doing anything with it. So, basically 20 years later, the estate remains in my grandfathers name. My own father, who was named a life beneficiary in the will, has recently gone into a nursing home and requires 24 hour care. My brother is living in the house at the moment. I am anxious to get some sort of certainty with things , so can i go apply for another probate grant ? Will the fact my father no longer lives in the house have any bearing on things ? If myself and my brother want to do anything with the estate, what are our options?
thanks all!

How is your father's metal state: if he requires 24hr care I suspect not great so I think you will have to wait for him to pass on.
Any other "relatives" sniffing around that might have an interfering interest in this

How is your father's metal state: if he requires 24hr care I suspect not great so I think you will have to wait for him to pass on.
Any other "relatives" sniffing around that might have an interfering interest in this
Dont see what "relatives sniffing around" is supposed to mean
I think OP your father, if he is not going to be living at home, could give up his right to the estate as a life beneficiary. In regard to the probate, you can apply for another grant of probate as the original probate was never completed and as you say the executor has since died

Dads mental state is ok now. he has granted power of attorney on myself and my brother for future situations.

Dont see what "relatives sniffing around" is supposed to mean
What it means is that in cases such as this disgruntled relatives usually claim that the disponer was not 100% there when the paperwork was done/ undue duress etc and try get money from the estate.

Back