Private windows

spud26

Looking at buying a ground floor apartment which is in off the street but it's the end apartment and a little public for people walking by. Is there such a thing as glass that can be installed to allow privacy (ie that you can see out from inside but people can't see in!
Have done a little googling but most of the suggestions are recommending privacy stickers that you put on top of the current glass but I would prefer an alternative if possible. Most of the stickers are patterned/designed and a bit tacky for a big front window!
Maybe there is no such thing!
Any help appreciated!

How about good old fashioned net curtains? I have plain (no pattern) ones and they let in good light but you get good privacy (unless you turn the lights on when it's dark outside). The plain ones are not old-fashioned looking at all, and they diffuse and brighten the light that comes in (my rooms always look colder when I take them down to wash)

There is no solution that will give permanent one-way viewing. You can get treatments / films that can be applied to the glass to effectively turn it into a one-way mirror, but the mirror effect is always seen on the side with the brighter ambient light. So during the day, you will see out, people outside will see a mirror. But during the night, if you have a light on in the room, you will see the mirror effect, and those outside will be able to see in.

Obscuring film cal be applied which will let light in, but will mean the view is obscured from both sides.

Thank you for both replies, I think I will go with either the blinds or net curtains, seems like easiest and cheapest option!

Back