Private swimming lessons for child

My children had group lessons from a very young age and progressed really well. One of them is lifeguarding abroad this summer.

Oh definitely it varies based on the child. Mine just got too bored with all the waiting.

Heading on holidays and for the first time we won't have to be in the pool with him. I appreciate 11 is on the older side but at least he is confident now.
That's fair enough but always good to be watchful, I've seen supervised pools on the continent where teenagers do dangerous stunts the minute they think they can get away with it. One time under lifeguards feet and with us right beside them our child got into difficulty just because they panicked. It really is silent.

That's fair enough but always good to be watchful, I've seen supervised pools on the continent where teenagers do dangerous stunts the minute they think they can get away with it. One time under lifeguards feet and with us right beside them our child got into difficulty just because they panicked. It really is silent.
Will do Bronte. I remember years ago when the older son was getting lessons, the kids were all in the pool before the instructor came in to the pool area. Parents were sat at the side chatting. Next thing you know the instructor comes running towards the pool, dives in and pulls out one of the kids who had drifted from the side. Not one of us had noticed the child. He wouldn't let the parent make a fuss, just made sure the child was ok and got her back in the pool so as not to have her scared of the water.

I have a 5 year old boy who is terrified of getting his hair wet or putting his head underwater.
Some kids are relaxed at a young age and some are not but anxiety generally declines sharply with age almost everyone can learn to swim.

From experience, there’s no harm in waiting another year. Your son may be ready then and he won’t have a negative association.

Buy some goggles and practice in the shower / bath.. make a game of it.

I had problems with one of mine, the others all did ok in regular classes but one would get stressed now and then causing some difficulty.

So we started bringing this child to the same pool just to play in a couple of times a week. Did that for about 6 weeks and completely took the stress out of it . Which is a variation of the bath idea. Of course it might have had the opposite effect. Everyone is different. Took them on their own not with siblings as too much messing otherwise.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Just to provide an update in case anyone is interested, the lessons have worked out very well and I recommend iswim academy if anyone has similar requirements. The little man is doing well and we’re hoping he’ll be comfortable in the water when we go on holidays and he’s able to get stuck into group lessons next year. Thanks again.

My youngest has DCD a developmental delay and it is quite common for children with this type of difficulty to have one to one lessons. Instructors were generally in the pool with the child and I think that it was way more productive than the group lessons he later took. I always found bringing the kids to swimming lessons somewhat torturous to be honest. Even if you feel that are stagnating or not progressing a couple of one to one lessons really can help progression. Not all instructors are equal it is definitely worth finding a class you are happy with if that’s the route you take. I am sure it is challenging but if I was doing it again I would really check out the teacher to child ratio and also take a class first to see if it suits your child. I personally would take individual lessons all the way they are better value in the long run in my opinion.

I signed my son up for lessons in Monkstown and he was completely lost. As a small, quiet boy, he was intimidated by the ton of bigger, brasher kids. We ended up taking him out of the lesson before the first one was even finished. He learnt how to swim in Westwood in Leopardstown. I know it is a bit out of the way for you but the lessons were very good. They have small classes and a small pool for younger kids and they progress to the bigger pool. Both my son and daughter learnt how to swim there.

My son started swimming lessons last year in Trackstart with Giacomo and Hazel. We see a huge progress.

My son started swimming lessons last year in Trackstart with Giacomo and Hazel. We see a huge progress.
Any connection? It's always a little suspicious when someone registers to add a recommendation on a 6 month old thread.

Back