Private swimming lessons for child

INYWIFNW

I have a 5 year old boy who is terrified of getting his hair wet or putting his head underwater. A lot of his little pals are starting swimming lessons (quite early I think, but these things all seem to be starting earlier than when I was young) and the thoughts of swimming lessons are worrying him.

We would like to get him a few one-on-one swimming lessons with someone nice who will ease him into it, rather than throwing him straight into a class and potentially putting him off swimming for life.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who provides these lessons? We are in Dublin South West, nearest pools would be Templeogue College and Tallaght.

Thanks.

Your best bet would be to ask around your parent networks for a recommendation, or to call your local pools and ask them as often they can suggest good swim instructors who provide private lessons. Explain the situation, they should be able to offer advice or explain how they will deal with his dislike of getting his head wet or underwater.

I also found that group lessons are a bit of a waste of time at that age, ratios are too high. Kids are often left sitting waiting outside the water for others to do their piece, then they get in the water so they are bored and cold. And they progress much faster with the private lessons so it's not even a money saving to get into group lessons. Private lessons paired with a family swim on the weekend was optimal for us, as they got to practice what they had learned in the lesson at their own pace. And you can book them around your schedule rather than missing some of the group lessons if you are away.

+1 what @misemoi said.

Also, look beyond the big swimming pools.
Our daughter was terrified of water, and we got private lessons in a hotel leisure centre. They've a separate children's pool that she felt safe in because she knew she could stand up in any part of it. The instructor was understanding, and focused on her being comfortable in the water rather than pushing her to meet swimming targets.
This year we couldn't keep her out of the pool while we were in France, while before she'd only go in the baby play areas.

Unfortunately I'm in a different part of the country.

Your best bet would be to ask around your parent networks for a recommendation, or to call your local pools and ask them as often they can suggest good swim instructors who provide private lessons. Explain the situation, they should be able to offer advice or explain how they will deal with his dislike of getting his head wet or underwater.

I also found that group lessons are a bit of a waste of time at that age, ratios are too high. Kids are often left sitting waiting outside the water for others to do their piece, then they get in the water so they are bored and cold. And they progress much faster with the private lessons so it's not even a money saving to get into group lessons. Private lessons paired with a family swim on the weekend was optimal for us, as they got to practice what they had learned in the lesson at their own pace. And you can book them around your schedule rather than missing some of the group lessons if you are away.
Thanks misemoi - that is good insight.

+1 what @misemoi said.

Also, look beyond the big swimming pools.
Our daughter was terrified of water, and we got private lessons in a hotel leisure centre. They've a separate children's pool that she felt safe in because she knew she could stand up in any part of it. The instructor was understanding, and focused on her being comfortable in the water rather than pushing her to meet swimming targets.
This year we couldn't keep her out of the pool while we were in France, while before she'd only go in the baby play areas.

Unfortunately I'm in a different part of the country.
Thanks Red Onion - great to hear re your daughter.

Unqualified Opinion:- I'm with RedOnion there and I can see the reasoning and perhaps it's the handiest option? Some hotels run summer camps regarding swimming too. But, don't underestimate the influence of a good swimming club - I'd sign up there too.

But . . . . . persevere for your son (might involve going to the pool in unsocial hours, waiting around, etc). But 5 years of age is a good time to learn the front crawl (freestyle) and I think he'll enjoy the experience.

I bet he will love the pool and swimming pretty fast and good swimming techniques are vital the older he gets. They will catapult him to greater achievements and more independence.

Incidentally, it took me only 69 years to learn the front crawl from my swimming history of backward doggie paddle.
(Tip for any adult trying to improve swimming techniques:- Use Youtube before you go to the pool and get one thing right per swimming session progressively (it ain't easy). It might do no harm to have a look at Youtube also when you get home from the pool).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - some great suggestions and we will consider them all. If anyone knows a good instructor that they have used themselves for their kids, please feel free to PM me. Thanks again.

If anyone knows a good instructor that they have used themselves for their kids, please feel free to PM me.

Best to post on the thread rather than PM so that others can benefit from any recommendations.

Make sure to check out their qualifications. Part of the disaster with ours was that the instructor was a PE teacher (or so we were told afterwards) and not qualified swimming instructor.

My sister sends hers to Gym Plus in Nutgrove. Very small classes (6ish) with the instructors in the pool and lots of one-on-one attention.

Thanks very much for all of the above suggestions.

We actually got sorted this morning. Based on Red Onion’s suggestion to try a hotel leisure centre, we found these guys: https://iswim.ie/ who operate in the Maldrons in Tallaght and Liffey Valley. Someone in our parent network used them and found them excellent.

Five private 30 minute lessons over 5 days in a row with the same instructor is pretty much exactly what we were looking for, so here’s hoping all goes well for the little man.

Thanks again.

My children had group lessons from a very young age and progressed really well. One of them is lifeguarding abroad this summer.

Aw I hope it goes well for him. Good idea above about practicing in the bath with goggles, and blowing bubbles under the water. My daughter had many lessons with 2 different swim schools. She didn't progress much at all. I took her out, got her one to one age 11 and she flew it. She surfs now and loves the water. My son stopped going to lessons pre covid as he wasn't progressing well. I figured I'd give him a break and then covid hit. He went back in June this year, age 11, and was lucky to end up in a class with only one other lad. After 5 lessons, he then did the summer camp of 5 mornings and he's come on in leaps and bounds. Heading on holidays and for the first time we won't have to be in the pool with him. I appreciate 11 is on the older side but at least he is confident now. As for me... I still don't like putting my head under the water and I'm older than 11! Maybe he can teach me while we're away.

Back