Private sale of property - estate agent sue?

max

I have a property advertised with an estate agent, however there is someone I know who may be interested in purchasing this property.

My question is, if we arrange to conduct the transaction privately, can the estate agent sue for his fees in this situation?

Yes, and they should get their fees. How did the person find out about the house being for sale?

It depends on the terms of the deal with the agent. Was there a written agreement? Was there mention of "exclusivity"?

hi I didn't sign anything with the agent and there was no written agreement or mention of 'exclusivity'

Hi max,

I did more or less the same thing a few years ago. We had the house on the market with an agent but ended up selling the house to a friend of a friend. After we had received the deposit, I contacted the EA and said we had sold it ourselves and acted dumb and said, I assume we dont; owe any fees and they agreed and we were never charged.

I would have expected to have got a bill for the advertising, signage etc but never did.

Back