Private Sale-New Owner demanding money back!!!!

evanne

Hi Folks,
I sold my car recently (private sale). The buyer had the car checked by a mechanic etc etc. Agreed a price, gave me a cheque. Alls well. This was 2 weeks ago. Got a call this morning, saying he wanted €4k back as I never told him the car was crashed!!! The car was NEVER crashed. I sold it to him in perfect condition . I scraped the door last year whilst reversing out of a driveway but I had this repaired. It was by no means a CRASH or an accident. He's claiming that he's entitled to this money back. I'm saying no you're not- you bought the car in good faith-no comeback.
Any advice please????

All sales like this are I believe "buyer beware", i.e. its up to the buyer to check things out. I don't think the buyer has a leg to stand on.

He is not entitled to his money back, the "Caveat-emptor" principal applies i.e. buyer beware. The seller doesnt have to point anything out, its up to the buyer to ensure they are buying what they expect. Onus is on the buyer in these private sales.

Maybe instead of a direct FRO to him in response to the request for money, you could ask him to prove his assertions that the car had been crashed. That'll get rid of him pretty sharpish, but in a relatively nice or non-contentious manner. You don't want him coming round doing damage to your own car out of spite or anything.

Even if he does prove something so what.

Refer him back to mechanic who checked the car and said nothing for his refund.

As was said buyer beware.

Keep your money in your pocket and tell him to go and jump.

Definately buyer beware. As pointed out he had it checked by a mechanic and still wnet ahead and bought. Where does he reckon it was crashed (i.e. what part?) Is it the same spot where you scraped?

I bought a car that required 3k worth to get through NCT!
Obviously I wanted my money back. I followed up with relevant information services and consumer rights and bottom line private sale is "buyer beware" as said above.
However the vendor is obliged to point out any faults I was told and in my case I was told the exhaus was replaced. What I did not know was it was done badly and on the cheap...hence I had to cop 3k.
It was worth it though I loved that car!
You are safe here Im sure evanne!
The car clealy was not crashed as you know and he has just changed his mind.

Thanks Guys for all your responses. I know myself that he doesn't have a leg to stand on but he is a guard and ,well, that just made me a little bit nervous :eek:

monkeyboy said:
I bought a car that required 3k worth to get through NCT!
Obviously I wanted my money back. I followed up with relevant information services and consumer rights and bottom line private sale is "buyer beware" as said above.

Hi Monkeyboy-can you tell me what 'information services' you contacted? as I said in my previous post he's a guard and I just want to have all my information correct! (BTW I've nothing against guards):)

Being a guard then, he should be nervous about making claims that your car was crashed if they are untrue...He doesn't have any rights here...If he hassles you again..send him packing..

Eh maybe a bit obvious but did you buy the car new ? If you bought it second hand in the first place, it could have been previously crashed. I still believe you dont have to refund btw just pointing out a scenario as you have not stated you bought the car new. Stand your ground against any bullying here also. As a matter of interest, did you know he was a gaurd before he bought the car or has he brought this to your attention in claiming the refund ?

Evanne : the front pages of either Autotrader or CBG have the info I contacted, Ombudsman and consumer rights info also.

monkeyboy said:
.... I was told the exhaus was replaced. What I did not know was it was done badly and on the cheap...hence I had to cop 3k.

€3k for an exhaust!! Did you buy a Ferrari or a Porsche ?

Hi,

His mechanic would have immediately seen if it had been crashed/repaired.

More than likely he has seen a better bargain elsewhere.

Or maybe he is doing this all the time. Purchase a car, complain, point out he is a Guard and get his money back. Either that or he is playing for a partial refund.

Find who is his superintendent. Then next time he telephones, tell him to stop bothering you, otherwise you will you will contact Mr Whatever have hime settle the matter.

Even a garage/main-dealer isn't obliged to point out any previous damage to a prospective buyer, unless the buyer specifically asks about it.

And even at that, the dealer is only obliged to point out damage that he/she is aware of.

Tell this joker to take a hike, he hasn't a leg to stand on.

I've seen other cases of Gardai going beyond their powers (e.g. flashing the id card to complain to another driver about ignoring direction signs within a supermarket car park - private property). It may be an inflated sense of his own importance.`

Here's just such a case where a 60 year-old woman was forced to wash off a sticker she had placed on an off-duty Garda's car, which was parked in a private car park.

He was found gulity on two counts of abusing his position.

Hi Folks,
Sorry for delay in replying-just a quick update- I contacted him and basically told him that guard or no guard, I wasn't entertaining his claims as he had no leg to stand on. Haven't heard anything back so fingers crossed :) thanks for all the advice......

Back