Health Insurance Private health insurance for my 86 year old mother?

Little Sis

My mum is hale and hearty and does not take a tablet at the age of 86 - and her doctor will vouch for that.

She has never had health insurance but we now feel it may be a wise investment to make but are a little concerned about the possible cost and the lead times.

Can anyone offer advice or ca suggest where I might look/who I might speak to for advice?

Regards

Little Sis

Little Sis,

Unfortunately, for any person over 69 years taking out health insurance for the first time, they will be charged an extra 70% loading on top of the
policy price. These new rules came into effect from 1st May 2015, called lifetime community rating. Details as follows;
http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

This may or may not be a problem, depending on the price you had in mind.
For all new customers, the first 6 months is a waiting time during which only accidents and injuries are covered.
If a person has any pre-existing conditions, hospital cover for these conditions will NOT be allowed for 5 years.
If a person has no pre-existing conditions, any new illnesses will be covered straight away - after the first 6 months waiting is complete.

The following is a selection of plans which cover 3 levels of hospital cover (public,private and hi-tech), price depends on the excess amount payable on admission to a private/hi-tech hospital for surgery/treatment. Simply Connect plan also has day to day cover for consultant visits,
gp, physio etc which is allowable from day one, no waiting applies for this section of cover.

1. Laya Flex 500 Explore; price 661 + 462 (70% loading) = 1123

2. Laya Flex 375 Explore; price 750 + 525 (70% loading) = 1275

3. Laya Flex 250 Explore; price 854 + 597 (70% loading) = 1451

4. Laya Simply Connect; price 1063 + 744 (70% loading) = 1807

[broken link removed]

Note; Laya Healthcare apply a 3% charge if you pay by instalments, also at the moment there is a 10% discount on plans 1 to 3 if you buy online.

The main reason now for taking out health insurance, is to speed up waiting times for elective surgery etc and also to broaden your options
regarding private and hi-tech hospitals. The cost of the premium is relatively low, compared to the cost of different types of surgery if you were
to consider paying for surgery instead, if required.

There's a lot of information to consider before making any decisions. The Health Insurance Authority are helpful with explanations or any questions
you might have about taking out health insurance.

Contact details as follows;
http://www.hia.ie/contact/contact-details

Regards, Snowyb

Many thanks for the detailed response. There is certainly food for thought there.

Regards

Little Sis

Back