Prison Sentences

So for example, punching someone in the nose because they had insulted me is more serious than if I broke into their house and stole their life savings, children's toys, etc?

What a clever comeback

What a clever comeback

Not at all, I'm asking a question on what is serious crime. You said physical harm was worse than theft, in a general sense it may well be, but can we be so absolute in stating in all cases physical harm is worse than theft?

I don't think there's a human being on the planet who could disgaree with a statement that there should be tougher sentences for serious crime, but what is it?

So for example, punching someone in the nose because they had insulted me is more serious than if I broke into their house and stole their life savings, children's toys, etc?

That 1 punch could cause the person to hit the ground and crack their head.
I also deem burglary to be a serious crime, but I would'nt expect to see a 1st offence getting a big sentence....but it's the 2nd to 60th burglaries where the sentences should ramp up each time instead of declining as happens in this beautiful country

Our judicial system seems to view crimes of theft and tax evasion (such as that carried out by the Garlic importer) as more serious and deserving of harsher punishment than those committed against people, including murder.

I think the first thing to state is that in this case he was prosecuted for manslaughter, not murder.

Also, it could be the case that theft or tax evasion are viewed more serious by the judiciary, or it may be that they tend to be easier to prosecute and sentence for than crimes such as manslaughter/murder/etc.

That 1 punch could cause the person to hit the ground and crack their head.
I also deem burglary to be a serious crime, but I would'nt expect to see a 1st offence getting a big sentence....but it's the 2nd to 60th burglaries where the sentences should ramp up each time instead of declining as happens in this beautiful country

But what exactly do you consider a serious crime?

Back