Price to remove an alarm system

peteb

Can anyone give me an idea, or even better if there is an electricians out there, on a price to remove an alarm system and wiring from a house.

I've a spider web of wires crossing over the joists in the attic that will need to come out along with the mains box and control panel and siren and sensors on all windows etc.

I havent used it in years and its hindering storage in the attic. Are we talking like 100 or 200? Or would they just do it for free and keep the control panel etc!!

I havent used it in years and its hindering storage in the attic. Are we talking like 100 or 200? Or would they just do it for free and keep the control panel etc!!

With all due respect peteb they wouldn't want your old scrap. The system is second hand and years old - it ain't worth nothing to them.

You'll probably pay an hourly rate to have the system removed. An electrician would probably not be able to cost it (if they even take it on).

With all due respect peteb they wouldn't want your old scrap. The system is second hand and years old - it ain't worth nothing to them.

You'll probably pay an hourly rate to have the system removed. An electrician would probably not be able to cost it (if they even take it on).
Tongue in cheek paddy! :rolleyes:

Probably one you could take on yourself. The PSA legislation doesn't explicitly include removal of alarm systems in its scope, but many electricians may be unwilling to take it on in case. If the work in any way would include them working on the panel, they need to be licensed. Also, removing all the cables is fine, so long as you can tell them exactly what cables can go. Going into a web of cables in an attic and removing them all could take out more than the alarm, and a lot of pros won't want to take that risk, or will price accordingly.

Probably one you could take on yourself. The PSA legislation doesn't explicitly include removal of alarm systems in its scope, but many electricians may be unwilling to take it on in case. If the work in any way would include them working on the panel, they need to be licensed. Also, removing all the cables is fine, so long as you can tell them exactly what cables can go. Going into a web of cables in an attic and removing them all could take out more than the alarm, and a lot of pros won't want to take that risk, or will price accordingly.

It was only built in 2006. The alarm wires are thin white cables, easily distinguished from the thick grey electrical core cable thankfully!

I never told them i did. And I would always people not to take an alarm discount. Not worth it to save about 5%

That's a very good point actually. Should you ever have a claim, they may look for evidence it was installed and maintained to EN50131 before paying out.

That's a very good point actually. Should you ever have a claim, they may look for evidence it was installed and maintained to EN50131 before paying out.
Not just that. They could check the log to make sure it was armed. Most alarm warranties on a policy say you have to have it armed every time you leave the house.

Hi,
Just to say we had a monitored alarm fitted 2 years ago,the house insurance came down by at least 10% and that reduction is every year,We put it on ever time we leave the house,thats why we got it, it also covers fires etc and the peace of mind is really worth it.

Pat

Hi,
Just to say we had a monitored alarm fitted 2 years ago,the house insurance came down by at least 10% and that reduction is every year,We put it on ever time we leave the house,thats why we got it, it also covers fires etc and the peace of mind is really worth it.

Pat

the problem with the alarm discount is that one time where you are literally going around the corner for 5 mins and you think "sure its just around the corner". Murphys law!

the problem with the alarm discount is that one time where you are literally going around the corner for 5 mins and you think "sure its just around the corner". Murphys law!
True Pete.....just DONT go around the corner!!:D

Back