Price Reductions on Carzone

tosh100

just noticed big reductions in the prices of vw's in commons road vw navan!5/6k on many models - must be feeling the pinch

About time,

Head in the sand wasn't working.

I would say the swing in sterling was a bit of a shock to a lot of irish dealers.

Cheap cars from uk wer even cheaper again.

They can't be selling anything at the moment. Noticing other VW dealers dropping slightly. I'm looking for Touran and the prices on those still haven't dropped. I'll probably get on in the UK.

I'm strongly considering buying a new Golf diesel, list price 25.6k. If I'm buying for cash, no trade in, what sort of deal should I expect to haggle? Is it worth checking around numerous dealers and trading them off against each other, or is there a price that as dealers they can't go below (i.e. a cartel)? Btw, my rough calculation from UK prices shows a saving of about 1.5k - 3.5k ... not worth the hassle if I could get a discount anything like that from an Irish dealer.

Is it worth checking around numerous dealers and trading them off against each other, or is there a price that as dealers they can't go below (i.e. a cartel)?.

Have a look at my comment on the other thread from yesterday on this subject. Theres a site that lets you do this - [broken link removed], I am trying to buy and commericial jeep at mo, and have got a few offers from garages using this, you put the type of car up that you want and they email garages about it for you. The garages respond to you through the site, the good thing is that they don't get your details or see your email address so its all sort of anonymous till you want to do the deal.

Some of the offers I got we're cr*p but one or two reasonable ones and just trying to play them off each other at mo! In the current climate I don't think there is any cartel, well certainly not among used cars anyway

The issue that I am not clear on is the resale on UK imports - if you import a car and save, say, €4K and then in three years' time you go to trade it in or sell it, won't a dealer/purchaser see that it is a UK import and offer less money? In other words, your €4K saving is eroded, unless you just drive the car until the end of its life.

The issue that I am not clear on is the resale on UK imports - if you import a car and save, say, €4K and then in three years' time you go to trade it in or sell it, won't a dealer/purchaser see that it is a UK import and offer less money? In other words, your €4K saving is eroded, unless you just drive the car until the end of its life.

Currently yes thats true, you will definetly take a hit on the resale price. However, I think as more and more UK imports occur it wont be a big thing. TBH most UK imports should actually be worth more, but thanks to the local industry bad mouthing them it creates a artifical mistrust and affects the value. Plus while you might save 4k now by buying in the UK, after three years the value will have reduced so much anyway that there won't be much of a difference between yours and an equivalent Irish one. i.e. you save 4k now, in 3 years the car would be only be 1k or 500 euro less than equivalent irish one due to the natural depreciation.

Currently yes thats true, you will definetly take a hit on the resale price. However, I think as more and more UK imports occur it wont be a big thing. TBH most UK imports should actually be worth more, but thanks to the local industry bad mouthing them it creates a artifical mistrust and affects the value.

Yes, I cannot understand how UK imports would be expected to have lower resale values. Surely UK cars are better looked after with their better roads and most are genuinely dealer serviced.
I am strongly considering buying an Octavia or Avensis (2005/2006) in the next few weeks in UK and I reckon I will save 2k+.

Yes, I cannot understand how UK imports would be expected to have lower resale values. Surely UK cars are better looked after with their better roads and most are genuinely dealer serviced.
I am strongly considering buying an Octavia or Avensis (2005/2006) in the next few weeks in UK and I reckon I will save 2k+.

The only way to go, sure in a couple of years 50% of cars on our roads will be ex uk..

Dealers discriminate against imports - I think it is just to protect their own interests. Stories of salted roads etc. can be used as scare tactics so buyers will then steer clear the next time they buy a car.

Try selling it privately, then go back to the UK for your replacement car if it makes sense.

Dealers discriminate against imports - I think it is just to protect their own interests. Stories of salted roads etc. can be used as scare tactics so buyers will then steer clear the next time they buy a car.

Try selling it privately, then go back to the UK for your replacement car if it makes sense.

I'd agree with that, Uk cars generally have higher spec than irish cars too, and are better looked after Imo.. Things are changing tho, i dont think people are that worried anymore where the car originated from as long as its in good condition..

I'm very slow to go the UK route because of the hassle involved with selling my own car privately, but i reckon I may have to consider that next time I change given the poor trade-in values being offered by garages in Ireland. I dread the number of scam artists calling to my door with baseball bats looking to test drive my car.

I'm very slow to go the UK route because of the hassle involved with selling my own car privately, but i reckon I may have to consider that next time I change given the poor trade-in values being offered by garages in Ireland. I dread the number of scam artists calling to my door with baseball bats looking to test drive my car.

What do you mean by scam artists? I haven't sold a car in many years privately but what scams are happening and why do they need baseball bats?

If you have a quick read around boards.ie they are full of stories of time wasters and scam artists e.g. copying your vehicle registration details to 'clone' your car; intimidation; bank drafts that bounce.

All the cars are from the same place anyway, irish and UK cars role off the same production line

I'm strongly considering buying a new Golf diesel, list price 25.6k. If I'm buying for cash, no trade in, what sort of deal should I expect to haggle? Is it worth checking around numerous dealers and trading them off against each other, or is there a price that as dealers they can't go below (i.e. a cartel)? Btw, my rough calculation from UK prices shows a saving of about 1.5k - 3.5k ... not worth the hassle if I could get a discount anything like that from an Irish dealer.

Expect big discount if you have no trade in.

I bought a new car back in 2007 when we were still in the 'boom'. The list price of the car was (Astra Sporthatch) was €24,300 OTR. Without trade-in I was able to get €1,900 off the list price, meaning I paid €22,400 OTR and got the usual tank of petrol but also 3 months tax and 1st service free!

I also got €1,000 more for my old car in a private sale compared to what the garage were offering as a trade-in.

I'm guessing in this climate you can easily get more than €1,900 of the price of the Golf.

Back