Price of petrol

fizzelina

My LOS rant for today is that it cost me €75 to fill a 1.4L Golf with petrol.....petrol is just so expensive!! At almost €1.50 a litre it has shot up at a time when wages are coming down and increased taxes are being paid. But €75 to fill a car with petrol so I can get to work for the week is really bothering me....

I have a relative who lives in the country and travels each day to work in Dublin.
The cost of petrol is having an adverse affect on their income.

If it costs 75e a week that is (obviously ) 300 euro a month, to get 300e he probably has to earn the best part of 500e!! Mad Ted.:eek:

I have a relative who lives in the country and travels each day to work in Dublin.
The cost of petrol is having an adverse affect on their income.

If it costs 75e a week that is (obviously ) 300 euro a month, to get 300e he probably has to earn the best part of 500e!! Mad Ted.:eek:

Did they not know there would a commute from the country to Dublin every day?

My LOS rant for today is that it cost me €75 to fill a 1.4L Golf with petrol.....petrol is just so expensive!! At almost €1.50 a litre it has shot up at a time when wages are coming down and increased taxes are being paid. But €75 to fill a car with petrol so I can get to work for the week is really bothering me....

Petrol/Diesel is still a cheap commodity (when you remove the tax element)

Two thirds of the price of a litre is excise duty and tax so the price is kept artificially high by government policies

During the worst recession Ireland has ever experienced the Green/FF budget wants to impose additional stealth taxes i.e. carbon taxes on top of what you already pay

Total lunancy !

During the worst recession Ireland has ever experienced the Green/FF budget wants to impose additional stealth taxes i.e. carbon taxes on top of what you already pay

Total lunancy !

I read in the paper yesterday that this government has added 20 cent extra tax per litre alone.

We're, still, a two car family and last week I spent over €140 on petrol in the space of 12 hours.

This morning, on the way to work, I saw prices in the range 1.459 to 1.489. TOPAZ run a corporate card scheme and the cost, per litre, on the scheme is, this week, down 2c, so hopefully that follows through to the retail price.

I thought the Minister for Finance wanted to roll back costs to 2006 :rolleyes: ?

Just curious. Bit of a mad decision to leave that commute every day. Fuel has never really been cheap in Ireland with the amount of tax levied by the state.

It wasn't a "mad decision" rather a decision of necessity.He lost his job(local) and the only one available to him is in Dublin.

It wasn't a "mad decision" rather a decision of necessity.He lost his job(local) and the only one available to him is in Dublin.

Yeah Ive a pal in the same boat - currently its costing him 600 a month on petrol, plus he needs to have his car serviced and tyres replaced more often than an average driver, so its costing him close to ~800 a month for his commute. Madness.

And sad too, I have to say,as the time they spend commuting is horrendous!
They miss out on so much,and play catch up all weekend,not to mention the pure wear and tear on the car and the person,and the risk of being involved in an accident must be higher!

Ditto. My friend lost his job last year. He is living in Kildare and even then was spending over €100 on petrol and tolls commuting to work.
If he got offered a job in Dublin, I could see the cost of commuting being a stumbling block in him taking a job, purely on economic grounds.
There must be plenty of people in satelite towns that are in the same position.

I thought at the time of the last budget that increasing tax on alcohol rather than fuel would have been fairer.

And sad too, I have to say,as the time they spend commuting is horrendous!
They miss out on so much,and play catch up all weekend,not to mention the pure wear and tear on the car and the person,and the risk of being involved in an accident must be higher!

Yeah - this particular individual spends between 3 and 4 hours a day behind the wheel.

Personally if I were him Id leave the job, its costing him over 10k year on fuel, car servicing, tax, insurance etc and child care costs him roughly the same, 40k of the guys earnings are JUST to take home the spend on commuting and childcare!!

Its not just the government levies. Some of the Petrol companies are acting like a Cartel.

Howcome Every Petrol Station in Bray Charges at least 4 cent a litre more than anywhere else ive seen.

Unleaded petrol is costing £1.30 (sterling) in my local area in England, which would be about €1.60 assuming exchange rate of €1.13 to £1.

Back