Price of passport is misleading

I think you may be... :confused:

Who exactly 'cannot' get one for €80?
Standard Passport for a person aged 18 years or over submitted through Passport Express service (available at Post Offices).........................€80
Standard 10-year, 32-page passport (aged 18 and over): €80

I think he is talking about the fee that has to be paid to the post office for the express service. He is right I think. It is impossible to get a passport for €80. Bit like airline advertising!

Also why is the 'express service' cheaper than sending one in by ordinary mail??

Nobody is talking about going into offices. Talking about sending an application in through ordinary or registered post. It's more expensive.

Same principle.

Ordinary postal applications go to the 2 public offices.

Passport Express goes to the non public Balbriggan office.

Same principle.

Ordinary postal applications go to the 2 public offices.

Passport Express goes to the non public Balbriggan office.

Still doesn't answer the question. Why not send all mail applications to the same office and simply prioritise the express post ones if that is the issue. Why does an express service cost less than a non-express service?

It is cheaper and quicker to process passports away from the public.

I think he is talking about the fee that has to be paid to the post office for the express service. He is right I think. It is impossible to get a passport for €80. Bit like airline advertising!

That's exactly what I mean, while all the relevant sites say it costs €80 euro you cannot get it for that.

As regards Time's "They can be got for €80 if you apply abroad via an embassy.", how do I get abroad without a passport? :)

As regards Time's "They can be got for €80 if you apply abroad via an embassy.", how do I get abroad without a passport? :)

Jump on a ferry to Holyhead or an Aerlingus flight to the UK with your driving license

Just read somewhere today that from June 30th, the requirement will be to use Passport Express, so 89 euro will be the cost.

Yes. No ordinary postal applications allowed. Turns out that many applications sent by ordinary post needed to be returned thus increasing workload. Passport express only from now on.

Why does an express service cost less than a non-express service?

My wife and I had to renew our passports last year and get new ones for the kids,needless to say we didnt bother with the luxury of passport express as we had plenty of time,was very annoyed to find out we paid more for the much slower supposedly cheaper option.:mad:

What a rip off!

I renewed mine last October by SNAIL MAIL and had it back by return. Posted it on Monday afternoon and had it back on Wednesday

You can apply at any time. There can be a year left on it and you can get a new one.

Back