price of drink in Samsara

lab-rat

Hi There,
I went to Samsara, Dawson street recently and was charges 4.75 for a sparkling water and a splash of lime. I nearly choked.
Is this the norm, I rarely drink minerals out but I was driving that night.
After that I went on virgin cocktails, for a fiver thought I would make them work a little for my money.

Hi There,
I went to Samsara, Dawson street recently and was charges 4.75 for a sparkling water and a splash of lime. I nearly choked.
Is this the norm, I rarely drink minerals out but I was driving that night.
After that I went on virgin cocktails, for a fiver thought I would make them work a little for my money.

The bars on Dawson Street (Cafe, Samsara, Ron Blacks) are very expensive so that would be the norm. You're right though, the price of minerals/non-alcoholic drinks encourages people to drink. When a pint is less than a rock shandy things are a bit odd!

And I thought alcohol was taxed more heavily than soft drinks.

maybe a publican or someone in the drinks trade is here who can explain why pricing is the way it is ?

I know pubs make a killing on the bottles of coke/7up etc. The mark up is about 2/3s on what they purchase them for. Rock shandy is a horrendous price! How are they encouraging the aul designated driver thing when its more expensive not to drink?!

The mark up on soft drinks is mich higher than 2/3s more like 200-400%
Pedantic, but just to point out that 2/3rds mark up referring to a sale price is the same as a 200% mark up on the cost price.

Pubs make a far higher profit on the sale of soft drinks compared to "pints". I presume the main reason behind it is because they can.

If the sale cost is 3 and the purchase cost is 1 that could be described as the sale price having a 2/3rds mark up (not how I'd describe it but I have run into this before [dealing with experienced professionals and after hours of trying to come to terms with errors in a report] and some do).

If the purchase price is 1 and the sale price 3, I (and most) would describe this as a 200% mark up.

Not saying I agree with it, but just reading the thread brought back horrible images which made it flash back into my head.

Prices of soft drinks should be fixed by the Government if they are serious about alcohol abuse.

I have to say over the Christmas and New Year I was the DD quite a bit. I did frequently suggest pubs which were part of the "free soft drink for drivers" deal which was ongoing over the period. I'm pretty sure that given the number of people in most of the nights out with groups the pubs certainly made a profit from it (although I'm not sure if they or the producers carry the cost for these schemes).

I have to say over the Christmas and New Year I was the DD quite a bit. I did frequently suggest pubs which were part of the "free soft drink for drivers" deal which was ongoing over the period. I'm pretty sure that given the number of people in most of the nights out with groups the pubs certainly made a profit from it (although I'm not sure if they or the producers carry the cost for these schemes).
Wasn't that scheme sponsored by Coca Cola? Not sure if they "just" funded the advertising/publicity or also subsidised participating establishments (or how they might've done this)?

Going totally off topic, but the reasoning I was given was "2/3rds mark up on the sale price" is very different to a "2/3rds mark up". According to the person who made the argument if a sale price has a two thirds mark up this means the cost price is one third of the sale price. I didn't really get into the argument too much as I've never been too familiar with the common terminology used and chalked it down to an error on my part (I worked with the sale cost being 1.66 of the cost instead of the cost price being 0.33 of the sale cost).

Wasn't that scheme sponsored by Coca Cola? Not sure if they "just" funded the advertising/publicity or also subsidised participating establishments (or how they might've done this)?
It was just drinks from the "Coke family" from memory, but no idea how the scheme was run or who footed the bill. It was a good way to attract a few extra patrons (at least it encouraged our group) but how many people it encouraged to be a driver for the night is questionable.

I didn't really get into the argument too much as I've never been too familiar with the common terminology used and chalked it down to an error on my part (I worked with the sale cost being 1.66 of the cost instead of the cost price being 0.33 of the sale cost).
You were pretty certain when you posted first! :D

You were pretty certain when you posted first! :D
:p Well, I'll stand over the comment I made...
2/3rds mark up referring to a sale price is the same as a 200% mark up on the cost price.
.... sadly my manager never took the care to put the figures into this context (at least not until I'd been over ever figure in the report twice).

It just sprung to mind as I'm sure nobody thinks the bulk purchase cost for a glass/bottle of coke is in or around E1.50, giving a mark up far higher than 66% (at least on the E2.50 I've recently paid for soft drinks).

'Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs' springs to mind...

Years ago there were no ads on the radio for pubs, it was unheard of.. now there are... so publicans must be feeling the pinch. Happy days say I.

I personnally feel that 4.75 is too expensive for sparkling water and lime... but as people say, they can charge what they like. we just don't have to drink there...

'Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs' springs to mind...

Years ago there were no ads on the radio for pubs, it was unheard of.. now there are... so publicans must be feeling the pinch. Happy days say I.

I personnally feel that 4.75 is too expensive for sparkling water and lime... but as people say, they can charge what they like. we just don't have to drink there...

Bring back hipflasks I say!

The Spanish and foreigners etc have the right idea. The ones I know always bring a bottle of something special in their handbags or inside pocket and in this guise it always tastes much sweeter ;)

Bring back hipflasks I say!

The Spanish and foreigners etc have the right idea. The ones I know always bring a bottle of something special in their handbags or inside pocket and in this guise it always tastes much sweeter ;)

It's good fun too....I've been known to carry the odd naggin of Jamie!

Back