Pregnancy & changing jobs

Kiddo

Just looking for some feedback on this situation.

I am working for the same firm for just over 4 years. Things haven't been great lately mainly due to staff leaving and not being replaced...and theres no intention of replacing them.It has lead to increased hours for the rest of us. I am also required to work away a few times a year which is a right pain. I handed in my notice last year and was talked into staying by the boss and my working time away from home was cut down.

Recently I started looking for another job. I have had a few interviews which have all gone well but no offers yet. I have rejected second interviews with a few.

I recently got married and we would like to start a family asap. We have discussed the pregnancy/job changing matter with a few friends and they seem to be split on their opinions.....

One train of thought is if I were to move jobs and then annouce a few months later that I was pregnant it wouldn't go down too well. Any relationship I had built up with my new employer would be destroyed. Also if I hadn't completed my probationary period I may be found "unsuitable" for the position and let go. Better to stay put, refuse to work crazy hours and then look for another job after I have had a baby.

The other train of thought was to go for it...if I'm not happy in my current job then move. If I should find myself pregnant then any reasonable employer wouldn't hold it against me....women have babies thats a fact of life.

All opinions welcome:confused:

Many large employers would be very cautious about being seem to discrimate against a probationary employee who had notified a recent pregnancy. However, I would imagine that interviewing with a visible bump could be fairly difficult.

Back