PP to place mobile advertising boards on the side of public roads?

onlineprint

Hi

Does anyone know if it would be allowed to place mobile advertising boards on the side of public roads like on grass areas or would this need planning permission

Similar question asked here: Legalities regarding setting up a mobile advertising vehicle?

See Section 3 (2) of Planning and Development Act 2000.

2(a) " where any structure or other land or any tree or other object on land becomes used for the exhibition of advertisements....the use of the land shall be taken to have materially changed".

Therefore afaik such advertising is development, is not exempt from permission and requires planning permission.

Depends on attitude of local authority.

There does seem to be a grey area around using parked vehicles for this. If the vehicle is legally parked, and taxed, and insured, there seems to be little enough that authorities can do.

It really wouldn't attract me to any business to see that they are doing this kind of advertising - it would put me off using the business.

You should be aware that this activity soes requires planning permission. Whether or not enforcement will act on you placing such a sign is another thing; usually someone must complain first.
The councils usually have a regular sweep of "roadside baggage" such as cars for sale and grey area signage and then like many laws in the country things go back to sleep mode.
Personally, I am not in favour of bending the rules just because someone may or may not enfore it; I actually believe that is one of the reasons we are in the general mess we are in, the attitude of "what harm will it do" when multiplied can do a lot of harm.
Easiest thing is to go for the planning, if the business is legit and it is safe for road users then you're in the clear.

Back