Power versus Electric shower

Concert

We are currently in the process of planning two bathroom revamps. Finding it very difficult to decide whether or not to install an electric shower in each room or a power and electric. Any ideas or advice

Two electric showers could cause the main fuse to trip if both used at once. On
the other hand power showers are insanely expensive to run - only really found out how expensive when the taps on my bath broke and I had to use the power shower to fill the bath (not full, just enough for kids) about 10 times, and my next electricity bill was Eur100 more than normal. Those taps were replaced in double quick time and that shower hasn't been used since.
Sybil

do you mean an electric power shower or just a pumped shower?

We are renovating a house and will have two pumped showers (which require hot water) and one electric shower (in case someone really needs a shower when there's no hot water in the tank).

Pumps don't use much electricity.

As Nige points out, it depends what on what you want.

Do you want use the hot water in your tank for the shower ? If so, a shower fed off the tank with as pump for power is best.

An electric shower, which heats the water instantly, will use more electricity and in my experience, they are never that powerful, but useful as you are not dependent on there being hot water.

Do you want use the hot water in your tank for the shower ? If so, a shower fed off the tank with as pump for power is best.

We have this, the gas or immersion heats the water and we installed a 1.5 bar pump so that the shower has very good power. I find it really good, more powerful than any electric shower I used.

We are currently in the process of planning two bathroom revamps. Finding it very difficult to decide whether or not to install an electric shower in each room or a power and electric. Any ideas or advice

You can install two instant showers if you also install a "priority switch unit " as well. This ensures that both showers cannot run together, so no fuse problem there!

Why not install one of each?

Instant showers, if used correctly, are very efficient as you only heat the water used, whilst IMHO power showers give a more invigourating shower but can be wasteful as often more water is heated than used.

do you mean an electric power shower or just a pumped shower?

We are renovating a house and will have two pumped showers (which require hot water) and one electric shower (in case someone really needs a shower when there's no hot water in the tank).

This is what we did too - one electric and the rest pumped !

Thanks for all replies I never thought there was such a thing as an electric power shower, thought they all worked off hot water available in tank at time of taking shower.

We have this, the gas or immersion heats the water and we installed a 1.5 bar pump so that the shower has very good power. I find it really good, more powerful than any electric shower I used.

We have this too and far, FAR better than the normal electric showers.
We have 3 showers in the house working off the hot water in the tank, and we have no electric shower.
It doesn't happen often, but all 3 have been used at the same time and no drop in pressure.
Plus, the bills are not as outrageous as detailed above. Normal bills.

I'd recommend them above the electric any day of the week.

Back