power shower or separate pump with mixer shower

meadow

We are in the process of refurbishing a bathroom. The current shower is an electric shower. However we have quite a large hot water tank which is currently not being used for showering so we would like to install an additional pumped mixer shower.

As I understand. There are 2 options

1) Install an "all in one" power shower such as [broken link removed], where the pump is included in the unit fitted inside the shower enclosure

2) Install a separate pump to pump the water. This is normally installed in the hotpress beside the hot water cylinder. Its not really feasible to do this in our case as the hot water cylinder is in one of the bedrooms which would be quite noisy. We would probably install it in the attic. We only want it for the shower and not for taps, WC etc.

Does anybody have any recommendations on which route to go ? Especially in terms of

- How does pressure compare between the two. Is the pressure from the Triton AS2000XT similar to a normal electric shower (eg Mira Elite 2) or is it more powerful.

- What is the pump size in a Triton AS200XT, How would it compare with a (say 1.5 bar or 2 bar) external pump.

- Cost (all in one unit Versus separate pump, thermostatic mixer valve, shower head.

- Ease of installation.

We are keeping the electric shower (for use during summer or when hot water not available) so both would be installed in the single 900x1200 shower enclosure)

I've searched other threads but can't find anything that answers this specific question.

Many thanks

Hi,

The Triton power shower is much more powerful than the mira elite. It would be also be cheaper to install than an external pump and mixer shower. I would go for the triton. You will have to have a cold pipe directly from the storage tank in attic to position of shower (cold) and a pipe directly from cylinder (hot) by means of an essex/surrey flange or be the first tapping off the cylinder for best results.

I would have a slight concern about having the two in the same unit, the triton pumps out alot of water (14L/min) and this may make it's way into the electrical shower, although it is a small chance.

I updated my bathroom last year and put in 2 ordinary Hudson Reed shower heads and installed a pump under the bath. This pump serves the bath (a jacuzzi - the pump was necessary for that) and the shower and doesn't come on when you flush loo or turn on any other tap. I wouldn't consider the pump I have to be too noisy but it was a great idea to put it in under the bath as you don't hear it over the noise of the shower anyway. I got a rainhead shower and an ordinary shower. The rainhead isn't overly powerful, but I think it uses a lot more water to operate anyway. The ordinary shower would blow you away with its power it's so strong.

I don't have any experience of a power shower but can recommend the above.

Thanks Davy
I have decided to go ahead and buy the Triton AS2000XT. Godfreys online in UK have a competive price of €232 including delivery [broken link removed] so have just ordered from them.

OntheRun, Putting the pump under the bath was not an option as I'm putting in a shower enclosure only (no bath) but thanks for reply

Thanks Davy
I have decided to go ahead and buy the Triton AS2000XT. Godfreys online in UK have a competive price of €232 including delivery [broken link removed] so have just ordered from them.

I bought exactly the same shower from Godfreys as well, saving about €100 or more over the shop price here.

I have had an issue with the chrome plated showerhead slider bar delaminating, but a call to Triton UK and they're sending me a new one.

I have often thought that there is a market opportunity for an electric shower/mixer shower that takes a hot water feed as well as the usual cold one and only heats the water if there is no hot water in the tank.

After all most people have a hot water cylinder which would usually have hot water in the winter but not necessarily in the summer when the heating is off. It would be the best of both worlds.

Surely this wouldn't be too difficult to develop for a company like Triton?

Back