Potential Nice Little Earner Teaching European Language to Young Children

Leper

Our young grandchildren (mostly 4 + 5 year olds) and grand nieces and nephews joined us in Spain to spend two weeks in a warmer clime. Spanish children are on holidays from school too. Because of the heat and humidity even at this time of year (March) children visit playgrounds often just after dark.

I’ve noticed Spanish and Irish kids have a desire to communicate with each other even at such young ages. Mrs Lep and I have been “teaching” ours some basic simple Spanish. The Spanish children are no different and share the same yearn to communicate. All the kids seem to be enjoying the experience.

So where is this going Lep? - I reckon there are opportunities for some 2nd Level Irish students to instruct much younger children in a European language even before that language is taught in schools. I have no idea of rates or whether the instruction should be 1:1, 1:2 etc. However I think it could be a nice little earner for many.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter. No talk of Garda Vetting, Insurance etc please.

Last edited:
Lots of primary school kids using Duolingo app for free in order to start learning different languages so very limited potential there for second level pupils I would think.

Lots of primary school kids using Duolingo app for free in order to start learning different languages so very limited potential there for second level pupils I would think.
I’ve used Duolingo to try to improve my Spanish. It’s good at what it does but, largely Duolingo is the Spanish of Central and South America and only occasionally Spain. Language Transfer* is a better all round app and is free of charge and has no ads.

*Before you use Language Transfer (not just for Spanish) you would need to have used another course in tandem. I hope I’m coming across clearly ie Language Transfer should not be used as sole learning.

Last edited:
Very little potential in general. Very limited interests from this age group (number of students), very difficult to keep interest going. I don't say no children are interested but very different from being a great little earner. Teaching a language requires more than just being able to give children a few words. Very few secondary students would have both the language skills necessary and the teaching skills. You are doing it in situ, it's much easier and better than in Ireland in any setting.

Very little potential in general. Very limited interests from this age group (number of students), very difficult to keep interest going. I don't say no children are interested but very different from being a great little earner. Teaching a language requires more than just being able to give children a few words. Very few secondary students would have both the language skills necessary and the teaching skills. You are doing it in situ, it's much easier and better than in Ireland in any setting.
You’re probably right, but I hope you’re not (no offence intended). I see potential here, but note I’m using the word “potential” - I’ve noticed our grandchildren picking up on Spanish quite easily (albeit in their first week in Spain) and all it should take is a little continuous nurturing and some practical experience to bring themoninprogress. Teaching pre school kids a new language ( I believe) is not as daunting as most would think.

You’re probably right, but I hope you’re not (no offence intended). I see potential here, but note I’m using the word “potential” - I’ve noticed our grandchildren picking up on Spanish quite easily (albeit in their first week in Spain) and all it should take is a little continuous nurturing and some practical experience to bring themoninprogress. Teaching pre school kids a new language ( I believe) is not as daunting as most would think.
Not daunting, just not necessarily for secondary school students. It requires a lot of work when you are not in the country and with new learners to build a lesson that is engaging. And the demand is not high. I have two bilingual children (European language) but that took time, efforts and regular exposure to the language.

I have taught English as a foreign language. Very little interest (often active resistance) from kids under 11 as they don’t see the point. Sweet spot is mid adolescence as they are old enough to see the point but young enough to still absorb a lot.

Otherwise there is very little money in teaching English. It doesn’t scale and to my knowledge going rate for teachers in private language schools is about €17 an hour.

Kids of that age learn better through structured play, studies have shown more formal techniques are less effective and adult/teacher-directed activities are less engaging for the children causing them to lose interest and learn less from an experience.

For this to work you'd need to recreate the environment you are experiencing, with trusted adults available in the background to assist them with words or phrases as they discover the need for them.

Back