Potential Fraud??

N

netopia

My husband, who has never had a credit card account in his own name - always as a named person on my account, received a letter today from a debt collection agency saying .....

"your MBA credit card account has been forwarded to us for immediate collection please contact our office at the above number or contact our area manager 087XXXXXXX without further delay"

Is this some kind of a scam???

Is there a landline on the letterhead?
If he has no CC then theres nothing to worry about. (Unless it Viper dept collection)
The fact that its asking you to call a mobile number makes it sound dodgy.
Phone the mobiles mail box 0875xxxxxxx & see what sort of message is recorded

I haven't seen the letter myself yet, as I'm working away from home this week. My husband is foreign & always leaves anything financial up to me.

I called the number & it just launches into "sorry I can't take your call" no indication of who the guy is.

I'm presuming they are either trying to get bank account details or details of the credit card that what ever money is meant to be owed on.

There is a landline number on it (I think) and an address in Ballymun

Does the letter contain his/your full MBNA CC account number? If yes then this is more likely to be a valid company. If no then almost certainly a scam.

The possibility exists that someone has used his name / address to get a CC in their own right (identity theft). However, that would presume they have some means of intercepting the letter sent with the original CC.

Bottom line ... ring MBNA.

Last edited:
We don't have an MBNA credit card (we have a BOI one) and the letter says MBA not MBNA

My husband, who has never had a credit card account in his own name - always as a named person on my account, received a letter today from a debt collection agency saying .....

"your MBA credit card account has been forwarded to us for immediate collection please contact our office at the above number or contact our area manager 087XXXXXXX without further delay"

Is this some kind of a scam???

Yes.

I've actually gotten to the bottom of this and I know exactly where it came from and I'll be going to the local friendly Gardai about it tomorrow.

Back