Potential Consequences of Falsifying Mortgage Application

Leo

There was a question on this topic in a thread here a while back, can't find it now, but this case, albeit at the extreme end of falsification highlights the potential for things to go badly wrong.

It's come up a few times where some posters have suggested telling "white lies" in a mortgage application, ignoring the fact that it could result in a criminal conviction.

The interesting thing is that had the borrower kept up the mortgage payments, no one would have been any the wiser or cared.

It's come up a few times where some posters have suggested telling "white lies" in a mortgage application, ignoring the fact that it could result in a criminal conviction.

But this case involved deliberate presentation of falsified documents. I don't want to get into semantics, but this was at least an order of magnitude beyond "white lies".

There was a question on this topic in a thread here a while back, can't find it now, but this case, albeit at the extreme end of falsification highlights the potential for things to go badly wrong.
Not sure I'd agree with 'badly wrong' in this case as the defendant gets to keep the house that he would not have otherwise gotten mortgage approval for. Assuming of course that he can maintain the mortgage payments.

But this case involved deliberate presentation of falsified documents. I don't want to get into semantics, but this was at least an order of magnitude beyond "white lies
Dishonestly inducing another to make a loan by deception is an offence. There is no carve out for "white lies".
Not sure I'd agree with 'badly wrong' in this case as the defendant gets to keep the house that he would not have otherwise gotten mortgage approval for.
A criminal conviction is a pretty serious matter. You could forget about getting a US visa for starters.

I exaggerated a bit on my mortgage applications and had a flexible understanding of questions asked, many that I know did the same.

What this guy did was on a totally different level, he paid another €3,000 to obtain very high quality forged documents to get his mortgage.

While I understand the desire to look after one's family, what he did was very wrong, and warrants the conviction.

There is no carve out for "white lies".
The criminal burden of proof for deception is quite high.

For example, between our mortgage application and drawdown our son was born. We didn't tell the bank about a larger family even though this could have caused them to reduce what they were prepared to lend us.

This probably meets your definition of "white lie" but is not remotely near a criminal standard of deception.

Apart from telling blatant lies about being pregnant, what other so called white lies are people saying they committed for gain?

This probably meets your definition of "white lie" but is not remotely near a criminal standard of deception.
I disagree.

Failing to correct a false impression which the deceiver previously created or reinforced or which the deceiver knows to be influencing another constitutes deception under the relevant legislation.

Back