Post 1995 Supplementary pension query

If you are referring to my post, well I do know what I am talking about. I suggest you read the rules for claiming JSB. They are clear.

Like when you knew what you were talking about here.

Last edited:
Folks, having gone through the charade of jobseekers and having had a good job and being forced to retire having reached mandatory retirement age for my job (60), as well as earning good money and being top of my pay scale in the job, why would i want to even think about doing interviews looking for jobs etc as I was retired from the job i loved, I did the sums and decided we could live on my Garda pension, the issue i brought up here is that i notice that the Supplementary part of my pension, which is itimised along with other pensionable allowances is not being increased along national wage agreements lines unlike the rest of my pension. I believe this is wrong and needs to be addressed but who/when will this be addressed?

Folks, having gone through the charade of jobseekers and having had a good job and being forced to retire having reached mandatory retirement age for my job (60), as well as earning good money and being top of my pay scale in the job, why would i want to even think about doing interviews looking for jobs etc as I was retired from the job i loved, I did the sums and decided we could live on my Garda pension, the issue i brought up here is that i notice that the Supplementary part of my pension, which is itimised along with other pensionable allowances is not being increased along national wage agreements lines unlike the rest of my pension. I believe this is wrong and needs to be addressed but who/when will this be addressed?
As per my post earlier , your income in total is to be the same calculation as if you were pre 95

Like when you knew what you were talking about here.

“Jobseekers over 62​

If you are over the age of 62 and receiving a jobseeker’s payment, you do not have to:
Above is an extract from the Gov.ie website dealing with JSB.
So what have I said that suggests I don’t know what I’m talking about?
If a 62 year old applies for JSB (which is only payable for 9 months) and they DONT have to meet a case officer and DONT have to sign on monthly:
- effectively they don’t need to take part in the activation process (apply for jobs or even read the job vacancy pages in newspapers)
- they are not restricted to two week’s holiday (they could spend the winters in the Algarve)
- when the 9 months payment finish, they just sign on once a year for credits

The issue requiring Post 1995 A Class PS to sign on for JSB if they retire at 60 (and yes, go through a charade of having to be a genuine JOB Seeker) is a separate issue to the main JSB rules (which is what I was dealing with in my recent posts). Requiring a 60 year Garda (who has to retire at age 60) to apply for JSB before they can access the Supplementary Pension is silly, particularly since in the final analysis the money concerned (JSB or the Supplementary Pension) comes out of the same pot - general taxation.

- effectively they don’t need to apply for jobs or even read the job vacancy pages in newspapers
- they are not restricted to two week’s holiday (they could spend the winters in the Algarve)
This only applies to people aged 65.
You don't understand the activation process.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Other arrangements for older jobseekers​

If you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance and are aged 62or over, you will no longer be required to engage with the compulsory activation process (see below) and you will not be subject to penalty rates fornon-engagement. (All other rules for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance still apply.)
However, if you are already engaged in activation (selectedand referred for engagement) or if you are currently takingpart in an activation programme (such as Community Employment, JobPathor training courses), you are expected to complete the programme. If you leaveactivation programmes before completion, your jobseeker's payment may bereduced.
You can voluntarily avail of a range of supports (for example, training oremployment support programmes) from the Department of Social Protection.

What is activation?
Labour market activation policies are designed to give jobseekers a better chance of finding employment. The Department of Social Protection describes activation as its engagement with jobseekers to support them back into employment. Jobseekers are expected to fully engage with this process and use the supports offered during the activation process which might include education or training schemes, employment support schemes to help them back into the workplace, internships and other supports.
People who do not engage with the activation process may have their payment reduced and can subsequently be disqualified from their payment for up to 9 weeks.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/older-jobseekers/conditions_for_getting_a_jobseekers_payment.en.html (Read more about the conditions that apply to your jobseekers’ payment.)

In addition, most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on a yearly signing arrangement with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare BranchOffice (this means that they do not need to sign on regularly) and most will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account. Certain categories of older jobseekers may be required to engage more frequently with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office. For example, casual jobseekers of 62 and older mustcontinue to submit weekly dockets of their work patterns.
Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers.

Last edited:
This only applies to people aged 65.
You don't understand the activation process.
You are posting incorrect information.
Really?
So if at age 62
- you don’t have to meet a case officer
- you only have to sign on once a year
can you explain how you are required to take part in the “activation process” (do you have to tell someone that you read the job vacancy pages regularly ), how you can only take two weeks holiday (and you are retired ) ????.
Please read the JSB rules fully.

Last edited:
It amazes me that a "pensions expert" cannot grasp what "activation" means when it is clearly explained in #26.

Can you not grasp the meaning of the bold highlighted Note applicable to 62 year olds at the end of #26 ?

Do you have a problem admitting that you are incorrect ?

S Class
Read what you posted #26
- "aged 62 and over you will no longer be required to engage with the activation process..."
- the final part if #26 refers to those who might be working part time and claiming a partial JSB. They have to inform Intreo of days they work.

So explain how a person aged 62 getting JSB - for 9 months- must engage with the activation process when they are not required to meet with a case officer and are required only to sign on yearly. Who do they tell that they "read the jobs vacant column in the newspaper ". And are you still claiming that such a 62 year old can only take 2 weeks holiday, whilst on a permanent holiday (ie retired).

I do have a problem admitting I am wrong....when I know I am right.

Last edited:
Stick to your incorrect version of the facts.
I am not going to waste any more of my time on you.
It is regretful that you make incorrect posts which are misleading other genuine posters. In some case your incorrect advice could result in financial loss to the poster.

Ok, but I notice that you haven't addressed the questions I raised.

We will agree to disagree

Listen lads, as to Jobseekers etc i dont want an explanation, my query is who/where do i turn to in order to get my proper pension?

Listen lads, as to Jobseekers etc i dont want an explanation, my query is who/where do i turn to in order to get my proper pension?
Have you sent the public sector advisory notes, which are linked in this thread, to your pension provider?

This is the document, on the Gov.ie website which clearly states that the supplementary pension is provided to Class A PRSI public sector pensioners, to provide equity with the non-coordinated public sector pensioners.

In particular the statement,

" it will give eligible members pension benefits equivalent to those they would have received if integration had not applied to their occupational pension."

If they ignore this or say they don't think it applies to you, or say they don't understand it, or some other such nonsense, maybe approach a union rep to clarify with your pension provider. I imagine there are more and more people in your position now and the supplementary pension, has to be adjusted upwards to ensure these commitments, which are clearly stated in government documents, are adhered to.

I'll be in your position, in 18 months, so I will also seek advice from my pension provider.

I won an Financial Services Ombudsmans case about 15 years ago against the NIB. A number of us on askaboutmoney pooled our knowledge to submit a case to the ombudsman. The ombudsman at that time only made individual decisions and a number of us had to submit similar cases and they all had to be investigated and determinations issued. I think we all got a determination in our favour at the time. It might be worth supporting each other with a claim. There would be the technical info in the followers of the page to assist.

I think there is the bones of a case in the application of the Job Seekers Benefit to get the pension as if you were D class. As others have said the National Shared Services Offices comes under the FSPO remit. Probably also a case where the pension, and supplementary pension do not track the D stamp equivalent retireeds

I also had a successful determination about 15 years ago. The ombudsman's brief is largely to investigate issues which have caused a financial loss to the person making a complaint.

I also had a successful determination about 15 years ago. The ombudsman's brief is largely to investigate issues which have caused a financial loss to the person making a complaint.
So the issue is that someone would have to be denied Job Seekers and then not get the supplementary pension and be at a monetary loss.

There are probably other cases where someone is getting less than the equivalent person getting the non-coordinated pension.

As my employer understands it

The Pensions Team calculates the supplementary pension (SP) at the point of application only. The SP is to bridge the gap between what you are receiving with the coordinated pension and what you would have received with the uncoordinated pension if you had joined pre-1995, until you receive the Contributory State Pension (CSP).
The SP is recalculated for a retired individual every time a significant change to the inputs occur e.g. main pension increases, CSP increases, change in circumstances for pensioner like starting a new job.
So the OP should look for a recalculation by the provider of the supp pension where he CSP has changed

I was talking to my pensions administrator today and they mentioned that notional service that was purchased does not count for the supplementary pension. Anyone have any other information about this.

Back