Possible Speeding Ticket...... Help!

Mini3277

Ok so I was just coming out the N3 and think I may have been caught for speeding. I think I was probably doing about 66-67 mile per hour in a 100KM zone. Apologies for the different metric and imperial measurements!

I've a few questions about the situation....

What is the percentage allowance that are you allowed, is it a 5% or 10% allowance?

How are you caught? By this I mean do you have to be pulled over there and then or do you just receive the fine in the post? The Garda seemed to be using a handheld speed gun that he was holding on the door of the car. There was another Garda standing at the other side of the car but she look generally disinterested and didn't seem to be paying much attention.

I've read a lot about cases being struck out were the fine isn't actually received by post. I tend to have awful problems with my post, so I'd like to know the implications of this. Personally I think I'd prefer to take the points instead of having to endure a courting hearing. Is there any way I could enquire about the fine if I haven't received any notification in say 4-6 weeks?

Is there any way I can check the number of points on my licence? How long do the points stay on your licence?

If the guard didnt pull you in then you wont be getting done.. 66 mph in a 100kph wont be prosecuted..

With a hand held gun, I believe they need to stop you. You were lucky this time by the sounds of it, but maybe a lesson learned?

A lesson definately learned!

So with a hand held gun you have to be pulled over? Is only the fixed (GATSO) type camera that can take pictures and be posted out to the individual?

Thank God!

I'm not sure if there is an allowance % (& if there is it would definately not be as high as 10%). I got pulled in & given a grilling. I was pretty sure I hadn't been speeding, but always reckon in those situations a "yes sir, no sir" approach works better than "what are you on about" attitude. He eventually showed me that I had been doing 62km in a 60km zone & said it was my lucky day, he could but he wouldn't take it any further.
(before anyone points it out, yes, I'm aware that even 2kpm over is 3% over the speed limit.)

So with a hand held gun you have to be pulled over? Is only the fixed (GATSO) type camera that can take pictures and be posted out to the individual?

Thats my understanding of it. The 'guns' only record speed. The vans or stationary cameras capute the info as well as speed.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. God it'd be awful to get caught just over the speed limit, at least if you were doing 140kmph you'd get a decent go out of the two points! :) Joking of course.

Thanks for the help.

The gatso record the info and you're then issued throught the post with your speeding ticket. The reason there is two guards Witht the speed camera is one catches you speeding and the other issues the ticket. You haven't been done for speeding because they didnt pull you in and issue you a ticket. Stop fretting...

If it was a camera he was using and not a radar gun, you have been caught and you'll get the notification in the post along with a picture showing your numberplate.
I don't think you will have been done for just a couple of miles over the limit though.

If it was a camera he was using and not a radar gun, you have been caught and you'll get the notification in the post along with a picture showing your numberplate.
I don't think you will have been done for just a couple of miles over the limit though.

It is possible to get a "non-intercept" ticket alright but these have generally been done away with for speeding, so are very rare, plus the fact that there was 2 guards there would lead me to believe that they were issuing tickets on the spot.. And doing 66mph in a 100kph, is barely over the limit,,

Plus if your speedo read 66/67 Mph chances are that you were actually only doing 59/60 Mph which is under the limit.
This is due to the fact that *most* speedo's read slightly faster than you are actually travelling.

at least if you were doing 140kmph you'd get a decent go out of the two points! :) Joking of course.

I know you'r only kidding, but it is crazy that someone doing 10% over gets the same penaly as someone who is 40% overe

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. God it'd be awful to get caught just over the speed limit, at least if you were doing 140kmph you'd get a decent go out of the two points! :) Joking of course.

Thanks for the help.

Gatso on N4 this morning. I wasn't too far off 120kph in 80 zone...yeah I know I was stupid and will get the notification in the post.

What the worst that could happen to me ?

I will completely accept the matter, I have to - I was that stupid.

Just a gun then your okay. Van on the road, then your done.

van on the road, just beyond new underpass at Newcastle junction. Court appearance likely ??

No, letter in the post with €80 fine and 2 points is the most likely outcome. A poster on a previous thread said these vans can only cover a single lane.
Leo

No prob. One other thing to note, so you don't get your hopes up too soon... It can take a couple of months before the letter arrives!

Back