possible property letting scam

jack2009

Hello there,

In september I posted my apartment for rent on the web (well know site). However, I got side tracked as my partner was expecting at the time. I have been meaning to rent the apartment for ages but too busy to focus on it.

Anyway I got a call from a letting agent at the time that I ignored as I had intended on renting the apartment myself. However, I then changed my mind on the basis that I was losing money by not renting it so I might as well lose a little less by using an agent.

I then arranged to meet the agent. However, the agent was sick on the day and sent their pa to meet me. She had a look around the apartment and took the keys. I then got phone calls with updates etc. on how the apartment was going and the few odds and ends of furniture that were required etc. then a few weeks later it was confirmed that a tenant had been found and that we must meet up to sign leases etc.

One week I got an apology for the unreturned phone calls as they were moving office the next week I got an apology from the lad saying that he was sorry for not getting back to me as his grand father had fallen ill. It is not almost two months and still no agreements signed by my!

The mobile number I have for him is not connecting nor is the mobile number for his colleagues. I keep leaving messages on the office number but with no responses.

Can someone please advise me as to what I should do to rectify the situation.

If I have been scammed I have been scammed and need to minimise my losses. I have to admit I had a bad feeling about this people from an early stage but still proceeded with them!!!

Thanking you in advance.

My advice is to cut your loss and get out now.
Change the locks and rent it out yourself.
Don't give the keys away so easily next time.

Has the OP actually called around to the apartment - is there a tenant living there? Have you received a deposit, any rent? It's not overly clear from the post....

Sorry, I should have said that shortly after I handed over the keys the letting agent did confirm that he had found a tenant for the apartment and for the moment I am assuming that the tenant is in my apartment. However, also assuming that the tenant is paying the letting agent and is unaware of my issue!

Ditto, cant understand why you dont call to the property. Also why would the tenant be paying the letting agent, (s)he (if they exist) should be paying the rent into your bank account surely :eek:

Sorry, I should have said that shortly after I handed over the keys the letting agent did confirm that he had found a tenant for the apartment and for the moment I am assuming that the tenant is in my apartment. However, also assuming that the tenant is paying the letting agent and is unaware of my issue!

You are assuming that you have a tenant and assuming that you have been scammed. If you just bother to go around and check it out you may not have a tenant and therefore you may not have been scammed! Why assume so much and ask for advice when the most straight forward thing to do is to go around and check for yourself?

also assuming that the tenant is paying the letting agent and is unaware of my issue!

Jack, what planet are you on ???? Get off your BUTT and go around to check out your apartment. If there is somebody in it turf them out. Any problems blame the agent. You have not been paid and rent is due in ADVANCE. End of story.

I wouldn't go as far as mercman. The tenant (if there is one) may be completely inncocent here! They may also be a good paying tenant and all you'd have to do is give them a new lease with your bank details etc. and problem sorted (apart from a change of locks to ensure security).

If there's no tenant, go to the agent's office and get your keys back and let it yourself.

I wouldn't go as far as mercman. The tenant (if there is one) may be completely inncocent here! They may also be a good paying tenant and all you'd have to do is give them a new lease with your bank details etc. and problem sorted (apart from a change of locks to ensure security).

If there's no tenant, go to the agent's office and get your keys back and let it yourself.

Thank you, nice too see someone talking sense. It has alsso been recomended to me to avail of the Gardai in case the tenant is hostile etc.

As stated before you don't even know if there is an actual tenant in situ!

The alleged agent could have stripped everything out of your apartment, left the taps running the heating on etc while you're asking a bunch of strangers what to do? Go down to the apartment and check it out first, i'm presuming you have another set of keys?
if there is someone there/the place hasn't burned to the ground/been flooded then assess your options.

Is there an emoticon for mind boggling?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hows that? Go down to the property for Gods sake, then access what to do.

Have been to apartment and as suspected there is a tenant there and the letting agent has done a runner with the rent!

Jack, sorry for your bother. Has he run off with the deposit as well. If you are certain this has happened, name and shame this agent.

Back