Positive Ventilation System

Shano

Hi,

I am just wondering if anybody here has used a Positive Ventilation System to sort out a damp problem?

If so, any thoughts on it? (pros and cons of it, does it actually work,etc?)

yes it works Aeroco have a good system as do several of the other main European manufacturers, but its not necessarily going to sort out a 'damp problem'

it better to 'sort out the damp problem' first..

if your referring to a condensation problem then yes positive input ventilation is a partial solution but should be considered along with improving thermal performance

yes it works Aeroco have a good system as do several of the other main European manufacturers, but its not necessarily going to sort out a 'damp problem'

it better to 'sort out the damp problem' first..

if your referring to a condensation problem then yes positive input ventilation is a partial solution but should be considered along with improving thermal performance

Thanks for the response.

I have been told that it is a ventilation/condensation issue in the apartment, so I think I might give this system a go! The chap that came to visit last week suggested to use this system along with a number of new vents over all the doors (I have another damp company coming for a visit this week – and then I am going to get the opinion of an independent surveyor and decide for definite then)

I have seen very few reviews on it on Ireland forums which makes me sceptical. However, it seems very popular in the UK and has got mostly positive reviews!

have you thought about about the duct runs in your apt? think and plan them carefully, and have everything agreed in writing before anything happens on-site. best of luck

have you thought about about the duct runs in your apt?

Yeah, he went through every small detail with me. I still have to get the plans in writing though, but he will be emailing me his suggestions and breakdown of costs

I tackled him on everything, and he answered every question I had.

Was very impressed (and I’m usually very sceptical with tradesmen!).

Aaa advanced damp proofing (can’t post link up here) is who I will be going with if anyone has ever heard of them, dealt with them or any comments on them?

Shano - Did you go with this system? How have you found it? I'm considering something else in an apartment and and just not sure.

Was it expensive?

Thanks

Hi Dem,

Apologies for the late response.

I got this put in about 6 months ago. It has definitely increased the air quality in the apartment a bit, but it has not resolved all the damp problems. Lowco2design was correct in that it would have to be only part of the solution I guess!

I have started to get a musty smell from the wardrobe and drawers again unfortunately.

I was talking to a neighbour a couple of weeks ago who said that he got work done on the balcony above him a few years ago. Apparently when he lifted up a slab on the balcony he saw lots of sitting rainwater underneath, So he got the builder to put a ‘slope’ and a new drain pipe underneath the slabs, so that the rainwater would run off when hitting the level underneath the slabs

He said that this has resolved all his problems including the wardrobes! (im not sure if I am convinced). Unfortunately my homebond term is up so I cannot go with the same builder!

Do any builders/tradesmen on here think that his solution sounds correct? Would this resolve the damp problems in wardrobe and drawers?

I had one fitted by my council in January had no smell till about two days after fitting can only describe as a damp smell at landing window were fan is installed in ceiling u hoped it would go away with time but had not contacted council multiple times no one been out since I reported back in January only got word Friday to say damp surveyor coming out on the 19th of June could the smell be caused by having the pvi installed as had no smell before ever lived here 20 year 11 weeks and smell still the same it’s getting me down newly decorated stairs new carpets and now have a awful smell as soon as u get to the top of stairs

Back