Porto Portugal

dubwx

Am off to Porto in a few days for 3 nights on cheap flight. Hope some of you have been there in recent times. I know its well outside tourist season but would be glad to hear recommendations (good or bad) for restaurants, bars, trips, sights etc.

Hi,

I was there last Aug and really enjoyed it.
Its a nice compact town , set on really steep hills - some of the houses look like they are about to slide down a cliff!

I cant remember places we ate and drank, but there are some nice places along the river, if you get the weather to sit outside.
We went to a Port factory and did a tour which was educational.
You can also take the train up to Galicia in Spain - the Islas Cies are really nice - small islands off the coast of Vigo.
Or you could do a day trip to Lisbon, which is worth a visit.

Hi,
I don't remember anywhere in particular to eat, there are some nice bars down by the river where you can sit out on deck chairs and drink Port (weather permitting I guess).

If you get a chance try a Francesinha at lunch time...its a local dish that can be really tasty when done well. (it's a big sandwich with tons of fillings and lots of cheese sitting in a tomato sauce....and yes, it is like something Elvis would have enjoyed!)

You can get a great view of the town from Vila Nova de Gaia...which is directly across the river from Porto proper and is where all the port houses are located.

I believe you can get a train up the Douro valley as well...could be worth looking into as the scenery is great (train takes about 2.5 hrs)

Muz

Back