Portlaoise or Tullamore - Any Thoughts?

Not sure if I'd be mad about Kilbeggan. Seems a bit of a one horse town and it seems like a place that the celtic tiger forgot about. Moate is a decent town with good value houses. The traffic is a bit manic at weekends but it's due to be bypassed soon also. Check out Athlone as well. It's a very vibrant town with lots going on. It has great restaurants, bars, shopping, the river & lake, good local industry and one of the biggest Institutes of Technology in the country. I know lots of people from dublin who have relocated there in the last few years and they love it. The IDA/Enterprise Ireland relocated an office there a few years ago and any of the staff I know like it.
Okay, I'm a local so I'm biased but go there for a weekend and see if you like it.

D

ribena said:
ASAIK Dunnes is moving beside Lidl. I think there's going to be a whole new shopping centre going in there with Boots, Next and the like. It's badly needed. Portlaoise is definitely a nice distance from Dublin, very good road and rail service and probably a better commute to Dublin than Tullamore.

just noticed the other day that there is a new building going up behind Lidl?
Anyone know what this is? Is it the shopping centre mentioned in Ribenas post. Please tell me it is!!!

No, it's not a shopping centre, it seems to be a Hardware store of some sort called 4Homes.

Have a look at the new development started in front of the O'Moore Park stadium, Parkside- could be what you're looking for, watch this space!

Are you talking about out on the Abbeyleix Road Carpenter? I thought that was houses. Very interesting.......

Yes, but I can't say too much in advance of the official launch (and it would probably breach posting rules, given my involvement) but the development comprises apartments, offices, pub, restaurants, mixed retail and basement car parking...

Woo hoo, sounds nice, pity I won't be hanging around to see it but I'll come over and vist.

Yep, got a job at home, finishing up here in 2 weeks. It's been good for the past 6 years but I won't miss the drive in the morning (especially as I'm always late!).

The 4Home development is a Dairygold owned operation. basicallly a hardware store.

For information on the O'Moore park development just click on the following link :

Back