Port Tunnel Open - when?

Damo

Can anyone tell me when is the Dublin Port Tunnell likely to be open and fully operational?

Thanks.

Well, it's opening to joggers on the [broken link removed]

This article today in the indo doesn't seem to know, but it also mistakenly gives the port tunnel as the longest in Europe!!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial] The opening date for the longest road tunnel in Europe has been a moveable feast, and management are still notably reluctant to announce when it will be opened until safety checks are completed.

[/FONT] Had a quick google, [broken link removed] site throws up the real top ten.

If you look at the [broken link removed] page, it gives a date of 17th Dec!

Last edited:
Well the official Port Tunnel says the DPT is the longest urban road tunnel in Europe.

No mention of the opening date though. I'd say 17 Dec is probably a good bet.

True, in fairness to our Italian friend it's an easy mistake to make. The graphic on the port tunnel page makes it look like M1, but if you read the text, it says M50. I thought it was interesting though the site had a date.

I would go with 17th Dec in any case. I reckon there must be alot of political pressure to open it this year, Sunday is a good day to open and there aren't alot left in 2006...

<PEDANT MODE>It also says it will be the M1, which is wrong- it will be the M50.</PEDANT MODE>

Eh, isn't the port tunnel on the N1/M1?

{edit, just checked the DPT site again and it seems the tunnel has been designated M50. Interesting}

Great cohesive thinking from our glorious leaders , open the tunnel right bang in the middle of operation freak show.

I expect most of the kids would be finishing around that day so the first real test of how the filter from tunnel onto M50 is going to work will be first Monday in January after New years day. The 8th.

Hopefully it's not rainy then too.;)

Are parents using the M50 to get the kids to school these days?

Unlikely to be a significant factor. More likely is that when kids are off school, parents in paid employment have to take time off, so there's less overall traffic - not just school runs.

Are parents using the M50 to get the kids to school these days?
I don't know what route they're using but when the little darlings aren't being carted around in 4x4s traffic everywhere lightens up considerably. Also when it's wet and rainy, like this morning, traffic all around the port tunnel works get stuffed up.

In my day you'd walk 10 miles to school etc etc.;)

Loved the RTE News filming in the Tunnel, at the end of the report last night. The wipers were on, as they filmed through the winscreen of the vehicle that they were travelling in

not being sarcastic...don't know if they can handle an accident within the tunnel.is there restrictions to type of cars that can go inside? is there a fee to pay?

i think they dont want cars using it so fee for car is around €12 (not 100% on exact cost)
its mainly for trucks

F. Kruger said:
The wipers were on
sounds like they haven't fixed the leaks yet then! On the subject of accidents, I saw a new 06 fire tender driving up North Strand last week with "Tunnel Response Vehicle" on the side.

the M50 is already a mess..don't think they can do a better job on the tunnel....

the M50 is already a mess..don't think they can do a better job on the tunnel....

never has so much been spent on a project which took so long....and it cannot even take the trucks which drive on Europes roads. Another fine mess by the NRA.

Back