Porsche or Z4

Brianp

I'm thinking of changing my car... not for practical reasons. Ive always wanted a porsche. Used to spend ages looking and paging through mags of the old 911's. but now have the financial means to buy a relatively new one. Actually took one for test drive and i couldnt get the grin off my face. Got insurance quote, bit steep at €4700 p/a . i could get a Z4 , smaller engine than porsche, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance and newer model.....but its not a Porsche! Maybe i should buy it just to get it out of the system. Pro's and cons of each please if anybody has experience.

i could get a Z4 , smaller engine than porsche, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance and newer model.....but its not a Porsche!

Honestly i wouldn't bother getting a car like these with a small engines, neuters the entire experience in my opinion. Huge fun to be had out on a track with a decent rwd sports car.

As for a choice between the two i'd go for the Z4 Coupe (the 3 litre straight six). Beautiful sound, great handling and looks the part too.

Take them both for an extended test drive and see how you feel.

I'm thinking of changing my car... not for practical reasons. Ive always wanted a porsche. Used to spend ages looking and paging through mags of the old 911's. but now have the financial means to buy a relatively new one. Actually took one for test drive and i couldnt get the grin off my face. Got insurance quote, bit steep at €4700 p/a . i could get a Z4 , smaller engine than porsche, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance and newer model.....but its not a Porsche! Maybe i should buy it just to get it out of the system. Pro's and cons of each please if anybody has experience.

Go the bit extra and get the 911...you could save on the insurance by trying 123.ie. They charge a flat rate for performance cars. There's a higher excess but as nobody in reality claims for accidents of c.5K or less it's worth it.

Brian..
fair play to you making heap load of cash..well hard earned cash

if i were you i will go for a Z4..its better looking than a old Porsche..and for a peace of mind...u are getting warranty and stuff for ur new car...

u will be lucky if the 2nd hand Porsche run smoothly for you...
as u mentioned u kinda sitting on the borderline...the service cost for the Porsche..phooo..exactly a Porker!

hope i can make the same decision like you do oneday...hmmm..to buy a Porsche or a Z4..or maybe a Lotus Elise?

Well done to get to the situation where you have such a tough choice. If I were looking at that type of car I would go for the Honda S2000, its reliable, faster that a Z4 or Boxter abd cheaper to maintain.

Boxster = girly
Z4 = plain bad...suspension is supposed to be awful!
S2000 = great...but not in the same league

The sensible decision of course (if you can afford it) is a 911. I wouldn't even dream of comparing a Z4 with a 911!!

I guess the title should be "Porsche or BMW" or "9xx or Z4".:)

In my opinion, 911 and Z4 are in completely different categories.. I guess Boxter (and may be Cayman) would be closer to the Z4 than a 9xx type.

When you mentioned 911, which one are you talking about real 911, 930, 964, 965, 993, 996, 997?

I started to have a dislike for 911 family since the 996 (boxter type of headlights!!). I guess many did as the 997 got back the small round headlights back tipycal of early 911s.

Even being old, the 930 is still the model i prefer.. though it is a monster to handle on the wet and would not recommend in Ireland. The 965 is more domesticated but difficult to drive on the wet. They both do require a lot of maintenance, bills are pricey...

964 (Carrera 2 and 4): loads of problem with these models, except may be for 1992/3 ones.

993: still one of my top choice, especially the 4S.

996: beside that i do not like it, reliability issues with those incl engine rebuilt required even after low mileage. Be prepare to change the clutch quite often on those. It is the size of a desert plate!!

Verdict for me: 993 Carrera 4S (i would say very few in Eire)

Hi polo. thanks, have worked hard, and besides if i dont spend some, the tax man gets it.Lotus Elise? far, far to flashy . Its mainly for poeple who want to buy a sports car but cant realy afford the real thing? maybe im wrong .Jeremy Clarkson didnt have anything good to say about lotus at all.

John m
Not a fan of honda , lexus , ect. good cars,esp S2000, you've made me think some more. as far as Lexus, far to young to be driving a lexus.

Bacchus.
thanks. The overall apinion i get is porsche is far to much trouble for what they're worth. i was thinking of the boxster 2.7, i wouldnt go crazy and get a 911. prices are mental for the new ones.
Must say always been a fan of the 930 . much wider rear wheel base and looks the part.

yes mate..Lotus Elise is quite flashy..but i think its giving the young entrepreneur image..rahter than the Prosche "*anker" image as stereotyped by people..never mind J.Clarkson..hes living in his own cuculand...
i still think Z4 got it going on ! maybe still a boxster with a Henmann bodykit on...kick ass

Is this car for everyday use or just fun? How many miles per annum?

How much power do you want? 1st car or 2nd car?

Nearly €5k p.a. for insurance is crazy btw irrespective of what car it's for.

Nearly €5k p.a. for insurance is crazy btw irrespective of what car it's for.

Its a lot more affordable to eg a businessperson who perhaps sells their business for 5 or 50 million, than the 1st year insurance would be for the average starter driver. We do not know what brianp's circumstances are. If its his hard earned money, by legitimate means, he can spend it as he wants. He / she would find it a lot cheaper to buy and run the car in places like the UK or US.

True but my point stands. If the guy has the dosh good luck to him.

To pay perhaps 10% of the value of a car in annual insurance is plain stupid.

True but my point stands. If the guy has the dosh good luck to him.

To pay perhaps 10% of the value of a car in annual insurance is plain stupid.

I'm sure there are more than a few drivers paying 100% or more of the value of their car on insurance. Its all relative.

I recently bought a porsche boxster s (the 3.2, 252bhp one!) 2nd hand - and it far exceeds my expectations - I was expecting it to be quick but it's so much more than the straight line speed, the steering is perfectly weighted with plenty of feedback, the engineering quality is exceptional (change spark plugs every 48,000 miles, air filter every 24,000 miles etc) and the sound of the engine !!! ....wow....a Eur100K+ car for less than half price with just 30K miles....the bargain of the century in my opinion.

No petrol head every aspires to drive a bmw......treat yourself to a real dream car !!.........just my opinion !

p.s. in company insurance scheme so no increase in premium from my golf gti....happy days !!

I have driven a 1998 911 and a 1997 2.5 Boxter, I didnt think the 911 was worth the extra €30K. The Boxter has a lovely howl from the exhaust and is the better balanced car. If I was to add a BMW to this mix it would have to be an M3 or maybe even an M5.

there is no compromise a bmw is a non runner against a 911, maybe in sound /comfort/economy but a 911 has the viatimins even 911 sounds cool just the numbers alone porsche wins through.scoobys/evov,s bow to the big word 911 .there can only be one and it dosent start with bmw

ford jedi, ur a true fan, I admire that. Im a bit of a slut when it comes to cars and bikes, I would drive anything.

Back