Policy for Mum & Child

shesells

My sister just got her renewal from Aviva and now that she's paying for her 6 month old son, added to premium increases, her annual premium has almost doubled.

Renewal date is 01-Feb.

She's asked for my help as baby is teething and very demanding of her time. I spent three hours today on hia and the companies' own websites and it's clear as mud.

She's currently on Company plan select, which gives her semi-private cover in a private hospital with a small excess, it also gives day to day cover. She would like to retain both these benefits.

Any ideas?

Laya have 50% off kids at the moment. Shopping around last year, for 1 adult and 1 child like your sister, I found Laya the best value. I have a very basic package though.

Here are a couple of suggestions to consider - good hospital + good outpatients benefits

Laya; Total Health Choice Adult + Child
874 + 273 = 1147pa + 3% = 1181
or
Total Health Choice Adult 873
Health Smart Family Child 200
Total 1073pa + 3% = 1105

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?323&295/

Note; A 3% charge applies if you pay by instalments.

Aviva suggestion: Health Plan 05 Adult + Child
952+ 328 = 1280pa

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?307/

Snowyb

Any thoughts on Glo Health, kids are free til 3. Best hospital and better day care works out at €1180 which is in or around the same region as the Laya one? Or better and better (€100 excess for private hospital) comes in at €985. Massive difference from Aviva renewal which was almost 50% higher than this

If she is on a company plan she might not be in a position to go to other providers. She can however ring Avivas and ask for a cheaper plan for the baby. Actually, I am surprised she has to pay for her 6 month old son, I got the first year free and then until next renewal date.
I rang Avivas this week myself and opted to have my children on some family policy. Saved around 105 per child.

It's not a company only plan, Aviva allow individuals to go on their company plans too, I used to be on one as an individual, the plan was just named company plan.

Re lower cover for baby, she lives in Cork and doesn't trust the public hospitals.

Any thoughts on Glo Health, kids are free til 3. Best hospital and better day care works out at €1180 which is in or around the same region as the Laya one? Or better and better (€100 excess for private hospital) comes in at €985. Massive difference from Aviva renewal which was almost 50% higher than this

Hi,
Just to bring to your attention, a price increase comes into effect on 30 Jan 13. New prices as follows; Better Plan 842.50 Best Plan 1039.50

Better daily cash plan 198 Best daily cash plan 300

Still, good value and worth considering with under 3's free.
I didn't realise that their daily cash plans( better and best) were also free for under 3's. Thanks for highlighting that info.

Snowyb

Glohealth have offered to transfer her policy on January 29 so she gets the old rate, does this sound unusual?

I think it's called good customer service - what's seldom is wonderful!
It's just a slight change of renewal date and a better price, I don't see any cause for concern.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Snowyb

Thanks!

I'll certainly be looking at Glo myself when my renewal comes up in June. I like the idea of being able to have differing levels of hospital and day to day cover, easier to tailor to your own situation and needs.

Back