Plumber left me with dodgy floors

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I'm just coming to the end of doing up my house after having central heating installed (amongst other things). All seemed to be hunky dorey and now I've had the painting done, new carpets installed, lino etc. And I'm so delighted to have all the mess behind me.

Except, I have a bit of a problem with the way the plumber refilled in some of the concrete floors. Concrete floors had to be dug up in the utility room, kitchen and study, all the rest were wood floors and they did a real neat job in refilling them, or so I thought! As time has passed they seemed to have kinda caved in in places. It's noticeable in the utility room in a few places (now under my new lino) and in the study (under my lovely new carpet).

The question is, do I ring the plumber and get him back and take my chances with him completely messing up my new decor, or do I leave it as it is and see if it gets any worse. I could probably get my boyfriend to do the utlity room and maybe even the study but the thoughts of moving appliances and pulling up my lovely new lino and carpet and having any of my house in the proximity of wet concrete gives me the creeps and if there is anyway I can possibly stick my head in the sand on this one, I think I might.

Rebecca

On balance, I'd be reluctant to go to all the hassle of getting the plumber back to finish his(?) job properly — although that's certainly what the "consumer rights" instinct would say!

Get the boyfriend in and, if you don't fancy waiting for a fresh dollop of top-up cement to dry, you could consider using some faster-drying Polyfilla-type product? (presuming the hollows aren't too wide or deep?) However, if you're talking about big, long 'furrows' for pipes or wiring, then I'd say grit/bare your teeth and haul back that plumber...

hope he replaced the DPM when he was laying the pipes, else you will are exposed to the possibility of damp coming through in a few years

You won't need to go the sand/ cement option to amke good in this instance. Floor levelling compound will take out any hollows. If the hollows are greater than 8mm or so a bit of clean sharp sand can be added to the levelling compound to prevent slump. I'm sure the DPM is fine, don't woory about that. The plumber will only have removed enough concrete (the minimum) to house the pipes.

If the plumber has done his job well he would have insulated the heating pipes laid placed under the screed . Without steel reinforcement this new screed is now prone to sacking , at latest when placing some heavy item onto the place . Insulation material has no load bearing capacity . Unless designed for it . I doubt that the plumber has used the apropiate technic . The heating pipe should have been placed in the house and not under it .

Sorry I missed these replies until now. Thanks guys.

Carpenter, I think I'm gone beyond the levelling compounds solution. It's fairly bad in spots - like kinda "rubbley"! :eek: And the floor kinda slopes a bit towards the kitchen (it always did this) so I have these visions of the stuff flowing down into my kitchen! The joys of an old house! Character my a*** :)

Heinbloed, I did notice all/most the pipes were insulated (or at least I think that's what the foamy stuff was around them when they were in the ground). I didn't want the plumber to run the pipes around the skirting and it was me who asked him to conceal them, so maybe it's my own fault. He didn't tell me this might happen though.

I rang him the plumber to let him know what was going on just in case it turns into a pile of rubble or a pipe starts leaking. Still not really sure what I should/can do with it. Think if I can, I'd prefer to sort it myself than have the plumbers back (eventhough my own consumer streak is telling me that I should).

Rebecca

Could you post a couple of close up photos? Levelling compound is used extensively for all but the deepest repairs.

Thanks Carpenter, I will do that. I'll wait till it gets the better of me and I get the courage to have a proper look under the lino. This levelling compound news is a bit reassuring though :)

Rebecca

Back