Plasterboard Rawlplus issue

paddyodoors

Hi All

looking for some info from any handyman or trademan (or handy women etc)

I was trying to fix a shelving unit at the weekend and started off with the screw placement using the expanding metal butterfly type fixtures for platerboard, which I have used many times before without issue.

For some reason the metal clasps that grab onto the plaster (so the metal can expand on the other side when screwing) started acting as a large drill bore instead of a clamp and I ended up with a huge hole.

I hope that above desription makes sense. - unfortunately I am a persistent bugger so tried it in 3 different locations as I thought it must be an issue with the plaster, first by the vent then by the window....then on the far wall....so now I have 6 holes in the wall - only one of which did the plug actually do as expected...

Anyone any suggestions as to what went wrong?

....in the meantime I need to go out and buy some filler - presumaby though the filled holes will never be strong enough to use for fixtures?

cheers
Paddy

Was it a interset fixing you were using? If so it might be an idea to tighten then loosen the fixing before inserting it in the the hole. Hole size is vital too.
Leo

Thats the one Leo - I did actually try to tighten it after the first one went wrong, but it wouldn't budge in my hand - I presumed that it isn't meant to unfold until in place..?

Definately have the right drill bit size.

How easy should it be to tighten and undo prior to slotting in? Maybe I got a dodgy batch of them, hence the plasterboard was going to crumble before the wings would unfold?

thanks

There is a proper tool to use for those fixtures, it's called a molly gun and it expands the fixing behind the plaster without turning it.

[broken link removed]

Neil.

Re: Plasterboard Rawlplug issue

Okay thanks Neil - I am now the proud owner of one "Molly Gun". Never needed one before but if it avoids future repeats and frustrations of last weekend then it will be worth it.

now what ye think of the holes which I have to polly fill - will it be okay once set to use these for the plug?

Paddy

Re: Plasterboard Rawlplug issue

Just wondering where did you buy your molly gun, thanks
Okay thanks Neil - I am now the proud owner of one "Molly Gun". Never needed one before but if it avoids future repeats and frustrations of last weekend then it will be worth it.

now what ye think of the holes which I have to polly fill - will it be okay once set to use these for the plug?

Paddy

Back