planting a tree

ShadyBrady

I want to plant a tree. As it is my first time doing this I would like to know what tree would be best. I read that best time is spring or autumn but see people doing it now.

Difficult to answer without knowing a number of factors including the space you have for the tree to develop, the height you want, the type of ground.

Have a read through this section
[broken link removed] of the RHS site first and then make a decision on the size and type of tree to go for. Personally, for a small garden I would look at silver birch, or a compact flowering cherry.

Difficult to answer without knowing a number of factors including the space you have for the tree to develop, the height you want, the type of ground.
Thanks, problem there is I am not sure, new to trees

[broken link removed] of the RHS site first and then make a decision on the size and type of tree to go for. Personally, for a small garden I would look at silver birch, or a compact flowering cherry.
Thanks for that link. I was looking at some trees at woodies, forgot to write down the names.I see the silver birch is decidious. Think I would prefer an evergreen and also the SB grows slowly doesn't it? Going on what i read just now, I would like fast growing evergreen multistemmed tree, if such a thing exists!

Silver birch are gorgeous, I have 2 in my garden. They grow very fast. Mine are about 10 years old and have grown taller than the house already. Their roots don't spread too much so they can work well even in a relatively small garden. I also have a eucalyptus, evergreen and grows very fast, too fast!

Saw Prunus Serr. Sunset Boulevard today. Would that be OK in centre of small lawn

[broken link removed]

Shady Brady, That looks like a really cute cherry tree, I did notice from the link that it is a half-standard, that just means a tree or shrub whose branches start from three to four feet from the ground. This makes the entire plant lower than a plant of the same type of the standard form. So, it should be fine for a smaller garden. It won;t be evergreen though. Generally I would prefer evergreen too, but I have a lovely cherry tree in the garden and I look forward every year to the first buds, then the blossom and the fresh green leaf which last from the end of April right into October, so its worth the bare twigs in Winter. You could plant a few lower growing evergreen shrubs close by if you want some Winter colour.
If you do buy it make sure you buy a good stake and rubber tie to in order to secure it from the wind and put the stake on the side of the tree which receives the prevailing wind - a bit of fertiliser too to help the roots grow, and water well over the next few months. I'll shut up now !!

Shady Brady, That looks like a really cute cherry tree, I did notice from the link that it is a half-standard,
Its a form of cherry tree is it? I get confused there are so many types and sub types of trees.

And is half standard the same as multistemmed? Thanks

Prunus is a genus of trees and shrubs, which includes the plums, cherries , peaches, apricots and almonds, but Prunus Serrulata is a cherry.
Don't know what you mean by multi-stemmed, but this one will probably have a slightly shorter trunk than some of the bigger cherries.

I was in the Botanical Garden yesterday and noticed a lovely Prunus Cerasifera P1ssardii/Nigra. It is a plum variety AFAIK. I have enough greenery in the garden so I am going to plant one of these as a feature tree. This is a picture of the same tree from the Bot that I found on the UCD site:

[broken link removed]

You can find some more info at [broken link removed]

Prunus is a genus of trees and shrubs, which includes the plums, cherries , peaches, apricots and almonds, but Prunus Serrulata is a cherry.
Don't know what you mean by multi-stemmed, but this one will probably have a slightly shorter trunk than some of the bigger cherries.
I think multi stemmed means where it is not very high up the trunk before it branches out.Might be wrong cannot find where i read it. some info at http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/multi-stemmed.html

What is half standard?

I think multi stemmed means where it is not very high up the trunk before it branches out.Might be wrong cannot find where i read it. some info at http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/multi-stemmed.html

What is half standard?
Standard usually means one stem/trunk up to a certain height +/- 1.5m...
For example bay tree (bayleaf) grown without any branches for 1m then shaped into a ball on the top...
Half Standard would be 'shorter'...

Mail order trees at
http://www.futureforests.net/how_to.htmhttp://www.futureforests.net
[broken link removed]
(No connection)

Back