Planning Steps

djsim

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I may be able to buy a plot of land from a friend who was refused planning due to them putting down on the planning forms a city address (they wanted to move to countryside)This was the main reason why they were refused.

They have gotten fed up with Ireland and are moving abroad, doesnt want the land anymore.

My question is, how long do you have to be living in an area before you can apply? I am 5 years living in my housing estate which is within 5 miles from land and would love to build myself.

Some people tell me its 10 years, others, say its 3, is there a definative rule on this?

Any other tips?

As always, thanks a mill.

Google "sustainable rural housing" for government policy (I can't post links yet!) and read the development plan for the County your site is in.
Different Counties interpret the government guidelines differently.
Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I may be able to buy a plot of land from a friend who was refused planning due to them putting down on the planning forms a city address (they wanted to move to countryside)This was the main reason why they were refused.

They have gotten fed up with Ireland and are moving abroad, doesnt want the land anymore.

My question is, how long do you have to be living in an area before you can apply? I am 5 years living in my housing estate which is within 5 miles from land and would love to build myself.

Some people tell me its 10 years, others, say its 3, is there a definative rule on this?

Any other tips?

As always, thanks a mill.

you need to check the specific local authority development plan guidelines.
To be honest, you would be the type of applicant that generally wouldnt be accepted in that you dont have a long standing family relationship with the area (living in an urban estate doesnt constitute having a rural background)

the best thing to do is to organise a pre-planning meeting with a planner and put your case forward... you will be told what criteria you need to meet.

Thanks lads, it eant looking good so.

Must feel, some of these guidelines are not fair.

Best thing to do as ye said, would be to plan a meeting.

One more question, what about buying a land with a house already on it, as in a run down small house with the view of knocking / renovating?

Would U bypass some of the rules that way?

Thanks lads, it eant looking good so.

Must feel, some of these guidelines are not fair.

Best thing to do as ye said, would be to plan a meeting.

One more question, what about buying a land with a house already on it, as in a run down small house with the view of knocking / renovating?

Would U bypass some of the rules that way?

no, each development plan would have specific policies regarding the renovation / rebuilding of existing houses as well.
The guidelines on these would be as restrictive if you were thinking of knocking the house down. If you are renovating / extending.. then they are less restrictive.

basically you cant just buy a dilapidated shack, knock it down, and build your mcmansion on the same site, as a way to circumvent rural housing guidelines.

Thanks lads for all your help and info, I think that I am fighting a losing battle, before I even start :(

Thanks lads for all your help and info, I think that I am fighting a losing battle, before I even start :(

maybe not.. most counties have designated areas where population is declining and in which they want to encourage population growth. The guidelines either dont apply or are very relaxed for these areas.

My advice would be to contact a local architect / architectural technician who is familiar with the area for their advice.

Back