Planning Permission for non locals (Louth Co Co, Local needs criteria)

deesmith

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. Myself and husband to be are in the process of building our house in Co. Louth. However it is about 20 minutes from my parents and as I am the only child in Ireland (another married in Australia) they ar seriously considering buying a site near us and building a small house. What are the chances of them getting planning permission when they are not from the area?

Re: Planning Permission for non locals

Local needs are strict in Louth, if you go to louthcoco.ie you will find out what the restrictions are, but examples are;

1. Depending on the "zoning" of the area, they should be from within 3-5 km of the site
2. If you have owned a house in the past 5 years, you will not get planning for a one-off house(this came in last year)

if the guidelines are adhered to then it is unlikely they will get permission, you should look at the web site though and see what applies to your parents.

Can I jump in with a general comment/question here? How legal/fair are the rules for 'locals only' planning permission? I understand the initial reasons for why they were introduced, but in effect, they are limiting people's constitutional rights to buy land and build a residence anywhere in Ireland with this discriminatory legislation.

How can it be fair for a person from Wicklow (for example) to move to Dublin, buy some land (if they can find it), develop and build a house, but the opposite situation is almost impossible? I know I'm greatly simplifying the situation here, but am interested in people's thoughts on the principle of locals-only planning permission.

The main reason for their want to move is to do with them gettting older and not wanting to be isolated from the only family they have. Neither of them are from Louth in the first place but my father is a retired Amry Officer and was always being moved from pillar to post because of his job. They do not know anyone in the town and they would have no connections or family ties left there. As I said i only have one brother who is married in Australia and more than likely stay there. Do the Louth Co Co take into account individual circumstances/reasons?

Do they have to build a house? Are there any suitable houses for sale in the area?

Ring the Louth planning. They are very helpful with questions and will more or less tell you over the phone if they think it's out of the question and that your parents haven't a chance. They will not tell you they'll get it but you'll know yourself from talking to them whether they are in with a chance or not. Having dealt with them in the past they really do stick by the rules and wouldn't usually take individual circumstances into account but no harm in ringing. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the advice! fingers crossed! :)

Back