Planning Observations

mummol

There is a planning notice for a house in front of ours - we live in a remote rural setting. Its on quiet a steep hill so they will be looking down into our house which will impact our privacy. I don't think this will mean much to the planning process but would welcome comments.

However our main considerations are:-

The soak hole is in line with the location of our well. We had to get a puraflow system but the coucil aren't great at regulating the installation of these and I'm worried about our water quality.

The steepness of the proposed site will have an impact on water run off onto ours - thats just gravity. The roads around were wrecked with floading and bad drainage was a primary cause of this this winter as water ran out of yards and broke up roads. After spending a mini fortune on granite kerbing etc I don't fancy that extending down to our driveway.

The house is also very big - very tall - not at all like ours. Alot taller then anything else in the area. especailly the nearby older cottages.

On its height its going to be very prominent for miles around too and will dominate the skyline as you take one approach road . . .

I'm toying with making an observation. Should I hire someone to do it or do I make it myself. If so how best to proceed.

I would always suggest the engagement a planning consultant or an architect to prepare your submission.
Submissions prepared by affected house owners often suffer to a greater or lesser degree from subjective and even emotional content. This is natural and not surprising, but it will not contribute positively to the owner's case.

A good consultant will assess all of the pertinent issues and assemble them into a logical and comprehensive submission.

They will prioritize the most critical issues,
Use the correct planning & development terms,
Spot potential issues the owner may not,
Review the proposals vis-à-vis the Development Plan and Rural Design Guidelines,
Raise any relevant concerns on waste disposal & water in relation to standards such as Building Regulations, EPA Guidelines, National Standards,
Will be able to assess any impact of overlooking & loss of privacy in a disinterested, technical manner, in contrast to a homeowner's own 'perceived' loss,

They should then prepare a report or comprehensive letter in a highly legible and accessible manner, with introduction, body issues and final conclusions. It is important to make the document as accessible as possible, even through its basic layout.

DBK100

http://www.mesh.ie

+1 What DBk 100 has posted plus:

You need to submit an observation for €20 within five weeks of the date the application is received in the local authority.

If you don't do this, you won't be able to Appeal it later if its granted.

The initial Observation should probaly rely more on the reduction of water quality in your well due to contruction run off and septoc tank discharges up hill and upsream of your your house.

This will open the door for the planner to make them jump through hoops to prove they won't affect you.

They are putting their best foot forward with the big house - even if its refused, they'll be back!

So get a professional to write your Observation and later Appeal.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back