Planning granted in 2005 but extension to permission being sought now

10amwalker

Hello,

A well known property developer was granted permission for a very large scale light industrial/business park in 2005 very close to where I live. The relevant County Council has now received an application for extension for a further 5 years planning permission.

I have been told that no submissions or observations can be made on this extension application and that the County Council will view granting it as a formality

Can this be true ?

The original development 1998 was subject to an An Bord Pleanala appeal and An Bord Pleanala granted permission however as each phase of the development progressed separate applications were sought and granted by the County Council. Each phase has more apartments, more hotels, more nursing homes etc. than was detailed in the An Bord Pleanala permission.

The economic downturn stopped all development however this extension if granted would have significant impact on hundreds of apartment owners.

How can my voice be heard by the County Council ?

I would have thought that once a permission lapsed that a new application would have to be applied for ?

I am so disheartened.
10amwalker

I have been told that no submissions or observations can be made on this extension application and that the County Council will view granting it as a formality

Can this be true ?

Yes. It can.

The original development 1998 was subject to an An Bord Pleanala appeal and An Bord Pleanala granted permission however as each phase of the development progressed separate applications were sought and granted by the County Council. Each phase has more apartments, more hotels, more nursing homes etc. than was detailed in the An Bord Pleanala permission.

The separate subsequent planning applications have nothing got to do with the An Bord Pleanala appeal to the original planning permission.

How can my voice be heard by the County Council?

You could always try airing your concerns to your local County Councillor.

I would have thought that once a permission lapsed that a new application would have to be applied for ?

Not necessarily. You can apply for an extension of an expired Planning Permission as long as you don't change the conditions of the original permission

The economic downturn stopped all development however this extension if granted would have significant impact on hundreds of apartment owners.

How so? In most developments around the country, residents welcome the full completion of their developments. I myself live in an unfinished housing development that has had it's original Planning Permission extended twice to allow the developer complete the estate.

Guns N Roses
Thank you so much for your reply.

The separate subsequent planning applications have nothing got to do with the An Bord Pleanala appeal to the original planning permission.

I now completely accept this however at the time I was under the impression that the development would be limited to what was granted in the An Bord Pleanala permission.

How so? In most developments around the country, residents welcome the full completion of their developments. I myself live in an unfinished housing development that has had it's original Planning Permission extended twice to allow the developer complete the estate.

Our Development is not negatively impacted by not having the business park as we already have 4 separate business parks, two hotels, two nursing homes, several office blocks, a retail park and a sport injury hospital.

What is being sought are more business units and parking spaces to cater for just under 2000 cars. Unfortunately the 1400 apartment units are located along the distributor road and would be adversely affected by the increased traffic flow to the proposed business park.

Is there any method of appealing the extension of this planning permission ?

Back