Pixmania says Sale of Goods Act does not apply to them

Is it really that cut and dried? A lead can be manhandled and damaged, remote controls as well, so they are not straight forward cases.

Damage caused by mistreatment is excluded from warranty or standard consumer rights. The difference between damage caused by misuse/abuse and manufacturing defect is usually clear enough.
Leo

A few years back, I bought Nikon D50 from them - they were doing a special at the time.

It arrived, a bit later than expected, but on arrival, I noticed it was in a box with NO packaging... which I though strange... opening up the box, gave the camera a little shake & a rattling noise was heard... didn't know if that was normal or not for DSLR... but on contacting pixmania again, they sent courier back to pick it up (DHL as far as I remember)... I sent many emails (could never get through to a person over the phone) asking them to package it up properly etc before shipping the replacement. This happened two further times - same fault (was different camera each time)... with emails exchanged each time.. had it out with DHL, had it out with pixmania (over email though)... requested my money back if the next one wasn't as expected - next one that arrived was ok...

All in all, I did find this very frustrating... but they had a process which I followed - had to remind them of their process in a few emails... I found them helpful enough but still had to use some strongly worded emails - specifically quoting their own terms & conditions... I heard/read of people having bad & good experiences of them at the time... I haven't used them for any expensive electronics since... just think there is an issue (maybe just at that time) with the packaging of these sensitive items, so didn't want to risk it again...

So, are Pixmania correct when they state that the SoGA 1980 does not apply to them?

If PixMania is based in any European Union country then the Sale of Goods act does apply to them (even though they are not an Irish company).

See [broken link removed]

"If you purchase goods or services from another EU Member State and they were advertised in your country, you are protected under consumer law of your home country"

Back