Pint of Guinness index

joe sod

Good article on the average wage buying 32 fewer pints of Guinness than it did 17 years ago. So the buying power of disposable income is reducing. The pint of Guinness is a great benchmark to measure prices and buying power as that is one of the main constituents of global city travel guides to measure how expensive a city or country is. We already have the " big mac index " to measure purchasing power parity, I think the pint of Guinness index is a better index for Ireland

Good article on the average wage buying 32 fewer pints of Guinness than it did 17 years ago. So the buying power of disposable income is reducing. The pint of Guinness is a great benchmark to measure prices and buying power as that is one of the main constituents of global city travel guides to measure how expensive a city or country is. We already have the " big mac index " to measure purchasing power parity, I think the pint of Guinness index is a better index for Ireland
Didn't Guinness hop on two 50c rises on the pint in the last 12 - 18 months?

I seem to remember RTE doing something like this back in the noughties but it was comparing how many pints of Guinness the Irish dole got you compared to the Polish dole and IIRC the Polish dole was about a quarter of the Irish but got you more Guinness, wonder is it still the same??

Not Guinness but I was shocked at the AAM Christmas party how much drink costs these days, €10.40 for a Bacardi and Coke
Am very glad that my binge drinking days are well behind me now, don't think I could afford to drink the way I did in my twenties and thirties :)

I seem to remember RTE doing something like this back in the noughties but it was comparing how many pints of Guinness the Irish dole got you compared to the Polish dole and IIRC the Polish dole was about a quarter of the Irish but got you more Guinness, wonder is it still the same??

Not Guinness but I was shocked at the AAM Christmas party how much drink costs these days, €10.40 for a Bacardi and Coke
Am very glad that my binge drinking days are well behind me now, don't think I could afford to drink the way I did in my twenties and thirties :)
And people wonder why cocaine has become so popular .

If they also deducted off tax from the average wage between now and 17 years ago and calculated the after tax buying power for pints of guinness it would show an even bigger reduction in the buying power of pints of guinness. People on average wages are paying higher tax than they were 17 years ago because of the introduction of USC, higher PRSI and the fact that the tax bands have not been rising with inflation so more income is taxed at the higher rate (although there has been a bit of a catch up in last 2 years as government has belatedly moved the tax bands up )

Didn't Guinness hop on two 50c rises on the pint in the last 12 - 18 months?

I think that was a certain Dutch company, who added 50 cents to the price of all of their products, a couple of months before Christmas 2023. Probably to help them cover the cost of their failed stout

As I recall, Guinness did increase their prices, but nothing like to the same extent.

I wonder how they got the average price of a pint, quoted at €5.62?

They must have surveyed quite a few rural pubs, given a lot of Dublin pubs seem to be charging over €6 a pint (and some, a lot more!)

I think that was a certain Dutch company, who added 50 cents to the price of all of their products, a couple of months before Christmas 2023. Probably to help them cover the cost of their failed stout

As I recall, Guinness did increase their prices, but nothing like to the same extent.
Mr Earl, Guinness increased their prices in December 22 and March 23 to match

So I've found increases of 12 cents in February 2023, and a further 4 cents in August 2023 (both ex vat), referenced in a number of news articles online, but I'm not finding the December 2022 price rise that you mentioned. Could you please give some details?

Interestingly, while looking for the December 2022 Guinness price rise, I found reference to our Dutch friends having increased the price of their best known larger, by 17 cents from 1st December 2022, so if you want to combine 2022 and 2023, then the Dutch bumped their prices up by at least 67 cents.

Last edited:

I'm definite, they really did.... 2 x 50c rises, not so sure the timeframe though.

If they also deducted off tax from the average wage between now and 17 years ago and calculated the after tax buying power for pints of guinness it would show an even bigger reduction in the buying power of pints of guinness. People on average wages are paying higher tax than they were 17 years ago because of the introduction of USC, higher PRSI and the fact that the tax bands have not been rising with inflation so more income is taxed at the higher rate (although there has been a bit of a catch up in last 2 years as government has belatedly moved the tax bands up )
Joe, I recall a few months ago, a thread which disproved your theory, if you looked at the historic PRSI+IT , compared to average wages.

If you think 48%+PRSI of 7.75% on 10 grand in 1995 was living the high life, I can assure you it wasnt.

In general, more people are out of the High Tax band now than previously to 1980, (aside from the fleeting Bertie ponzi boom times 00-07).

Yes Sir Bob (I am a mad LFC fan too!), Guinness did two increases relatively recently of 50c each. I didn't mind when it went to €5, a nice even number but I had an issue when shortly after it went to €5.50

I am talking "down the country" prices here, not Temple Bar!

Joe, I recall a few months ago, a thread which disproved your theory, if you looked at the historic PRSI+IT , compared to average wages.

If you think 48%+PRSI of 7.75% on 10 grand in 1995 was living the high life, I can assure you it wasnt.

In general, more people are out of the High Tax band now than previously to 1980, (aside from the fleeting Bertie ponzi boom times 00-07).
that was a comparison with 1994, this is a comparison with 2007. this would definitely show higher disposable income and less taxes in 2007 so your wages were buying more pints of guinness then. A big reason why we can no longer get builders today is because the tax rates on those incomes are too high, that was not the case in 2007. Obviously we had over production in construction then but we have the opposite today. Therefore we need a bit more 2007 today and a bit less of the 2024 big government regime. I think the referendum results are showing that people have had enough of all this and we are at a turning point again

Back