pillows cheap or expensive is there a difference

coleen

Hi I was wondering what kind of pillows people buy? how often do they replace them? and do they wash them and if so how do you wash them? Is there a difference between the cheap ones in penny's or dunnes or the more expensive ones you can buy.

I think so...I use the visco memory pillows otherwise I can't get comfortable....
I think its worth spending a few extra euro on a good mattress & pillow for a good nights sleep.
Something like these from Argos

I agree with the last poster. Last year I invested in a memory foam pillow and a sprung mattress with memory foam layer. Best thing I ever did for a comfy nights sleep.

I got some gorgeous top of the range duck down duvet and pillows in tk maxx very cheaply. I really would recommend tk maxx for all house things. I also got some fantastic egyptian cotton sheets and duvet covers in tk maxx for about what you would pay in dunnes for them

Tesco are advertising memory foam pillows for half-price 19.99. Haven't seen them so don't know how good they are. I have memory foam pillows that are great - not cheap ones though. I'd imagine that they might be a bit heavier than Tesco's because I saw some other ones from Dunnes (I think) and noticed that they weren't as substantial as mine. I'd go for dearer ones if you have orthopaedic problems. I forgot to add that they are not washable but they have a zipped cover that is washable. For extra protection I put two pillowcases on.

Dunlop Latex pillows are the only job. I give them a steam clean every so often. I always keep a pillow protetor on them. I am very fussy about my pillow, I hate when it gets too hot, I even turn it over during the nite to find a cold spot again. I have never found a nice comfy pillow when staying away. I think I used to pay about €40 for one.

I have Tempur memory foam pillows which are really comfortable. From memory they were around €125 each.

I don't know how they compare with other brands. Tempur is top of the range as far as memory foam goes, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll find them more comfortable than another brand. It's a matter of personal choice really.

i have some top of the range clerys one and supplement them with cheaper ones. they are sooooooooo good

Hi I was wondering what kind of pillows people buy? how often do they replace them? and do they wash them and if so how do you wash them? Is there a difference between the cheap ones in penny's or dunnes or the more expensive ones you can buy.

I started using a memory foam pillow two years ago - I would now never use anything else!

Bought some goose feather pillows in Debenhams sale - 14 down from 47 - lovely!! They shed feathers a little bit but plump up nicely.

Last edited:
Argos have great pillows called ..love to sleep... they are a very good price and you can pop them in the washing machine. i wash pillows about every 3 months

Put pillow protectors on them and you won't need to wash them as often.

If you do wash them, dry them flat in the sun because if you try hanging them up all the filling sinks and ends up uneven. I usually leave them on the hot water tank then for a few weeks to make sure they dry fully.

"Dunlop Latex pillows are the only job"

I have to second this. I started using these more than 10 years ago. Someone recently gave me a very expensive memory pillow for a present and while it is great, I still prefer the Dunlop Latex.

thanks for all the replies and I am trying out a memory one and a dunlop latex one and I will see how they work out

Just wondering what the most recent opinions were on pillows as I really need to dump my old ones.......

Ikea make a good point with their pillows, that it makes a difference if you sleep on your back, side or front (a different pillow is better for each position). I sleep on my side and have a cheap enough thick but hard pillow with a fancy soft one on top and it works the best for me. Actualy neither of them are from Ikea, but the Ikea quilt and pillow finder is online here, it might be helpful.

Back