Photography laws?

Cat101

Hello, Does a traffic warden have the legal right to photograph my car without my permission?..He has done so every day last week for four days in a row and again this morning. He also knocks on my door to tell me that he has done so. He has not issued me a parking ticket/fine but insists I cannot park outside my house. He is quite angry and very rude, When I question him he just points his finger at me and shouts aloud that he'll see me in court.There are no 'no parking signs' or double yellow lines to indicate that I am breaking any laws. I have parked in this spot for fifteen years without any complains or problems. I'm starting to feel harassed by this man and very stressed by it. Any advice would be gratefully received, Thanks in advance, Cat.

I doubt that there's any specific law against photographing somebody's car.

Has he ever explained why/how you are illegally parked?

If you are clearly within your rights to park outside your home and he keeps pestering you then contact the relevant local authority's traffic warden department and report the issue to them.

And maybe don't bother answering the door to him.

Is he a neighbour or "on duty" when doing this?

Report him to the Gardaí and ask them to firstly advise you in case there is some obscure RTA requirement on which you've infringed, then ask them to have a talk to the traffic warden.

Thank you Clubman, he won't specify the reason when I question, I don't know the man he is not a neighbour and he is on duty when he calls. He's extremely intimidating and very angry. My nine year old was reduced to tears when he heard him shouting about seeing me in court. I could really do without the stress of it.

Sounds creepy. Reminds me of the 'you were driving too slow' chat-up cop in Short Cuts. You should do as suggests.

Thanks..I'll sleep with my eyes open tonight ;) You're both right though he does need reporting. Thanks.

There is no obligation to issue a ticket aka a fine. The warden can directly take the matter to court if he wants.

From the OP's description there doesn't seem to be an offense being committed.
But in case there is, that's one reason why I suggested talking to the Gardaí.

The other reason is that if this guy has form already, they should know.
If he hasn't form as a nuisance this referral may be the start of a file.

It could be something simply dealt with.
In our estate its legal to park on the road outside the house
However if you park halfway on the footpath you are committing an offence.

Back