Photograph on CV - Is it OTT.?

allthedoyles

Hi,
Would like to know , if it is ok to place a passport size photo on a CV frontpage .........or would it be considered 'over the top '' ?

uugh ... if I got a cv in the door with a photo on it I'd start thinking that the person was full of their own self importance.

Unless requested, I wouldn't include a photo.

Keep the CV neat, concise and professional .... it will talk for itself.

Absolutely no need for the photo.
Why do you want to add it - do you think it will aid you getting an interview/job?

It is not the custom in Ireland to include photo's on CVs, so those few that do arrive in the door seem a bit strange.
However, in other countries it is quite the norm, so I would often see photo's on CVs for jobs in other countries.

It depends on the job. If you're looking for something customer-facing, appearance is important so a photo is ok. It's a lot more relevant that a string of junior cert results.

It depends on the job. If you're looking for something customer-facing, appearance is important so a photo is ok. It's a lot more relevant that a string of junior cert results.

+1

This photo on CV thing seems to be a largely Eastern European phenomenon in our experience though - doesn't always add to it if the applicant is a prospective engineer who will have little or no customer contact and tries to look deadly serious/cool/aloof - which I've seen a lot. Ends up being a bit comical.

I may be totally wrong but is it not illegal to hire based on looks and places that ask for pictures can be prosecuted?

FM104/Spin1038 recently got around this while hiring those eejits in the VW Beetles by saying that "A photo may be included if desired" aka if you dont include one you aint getting anywhere near getting the job....

I may be totally wrong but is it not illegal to hire based on looks and places that ask for pictures can be prosecuted?
It is not quite that black and white. It is illegal to discriminate against somebody under any of the nine grounds listed in the Employment Equality Acts. Asking for a picture could certainly open the employer to claims that they discriminated on grounds of disability or membership of the travelling community, for example.

There is nothing in law that stops an employer choosing the blond girl with the really big hands over other better qualified candidates.

Asking for a picture could certainly open the employer to claims that they discriminated on grounds of disability or membership of the travelling community, for example.

They'd hardly include a picture of themselves posing outside a caravan ;)

Also, we're not talking about asking for photos on application forms, we're talking about candidates including them on CVs themselves.

I know that Fatphrog, on that point I would think it very irregular

It is becoming more common now to place a photo on a CV. It is very much an international thing. Most of our clients in the Middle East require a photo attached to the CV

I used to do a lot of phone interviews in the engineering profession. I always found a photo (digitally applied to a CV) helped me to 'humanise' the person, instead of just speaking to a disembodied voice. I'm not saying that people got the job because of the photo, just that it helped me remember who they were (which may or may not have been a good thing)

Attaching a photo to a CV was quite common in the 80's and early 90's in Ireland. Maybe it's a recession thing that it is coming back into vogue (if it is).

Wouldn't be in favour of it myself as people are judged on their looks so some excellent candidates could be excluded simply by not being photogenic.

I remember when it was in vogue years ago. Made no odds, and anyway CVs were photocopied to be distributed to interviewers and the photos were usually did not come out in the photocopied version.

Surely all CVs are electronic these days anyway. Its years since I say an actual paper CV coming through the door.

seriously I would HATE to have to include a pic, as I am SO fussy about pics of me and it would take me days to find the right one LOL. I would have to have a photo shoot done first hahaha

seriously I would HATE to have to include a pic, as I am SO fussy about pics of me and it would take me days to find the right one LOL. I would have to have a photo shoot done first hahaha

I'm assuming it would be your bog standard passport style photo as opposed to "I looked better in the green dress" :D

Back