Phonewatch renewal - tip for others to save

ang1170

I received my renewal notice from Phonewatch today, the first since they're no longer owned by Eircom.

The cover letter extoled the virtues of their new service: lifetime warranty, unlimited service calls etc. etc. No mention of cost.

The attached agreement had the cost: only (!) €371.05 per year, some 20% more than I paid last year.

I e-mailed them to say I wasn't going to pay this, and then got a phone call from them. Apparently they no longer have multiple levels of service, so there was no option to move to a monitor only service. When pressed, they offered me 10% discount, as a "good will gesture for this year only". I declined this, and said I was unwilling to pay more than last year. Anyway they put me on hold, and then came back with a 20% discount for the full service, bringing it to fractionally less than I paid last year.

In other words, one phone call saved more than €70. I know I could have probably saved more by going elsewhere, but the saving vs. effort equation worked for me, so I went ahead and paid.

I'd suggest others try the same tactic.

Thanks ang...that's good feedback. It drives me nuts to pay that Phonewatch bill each month, and would drive me even more nuts if it was 20% extra. I presume your 20% discount is just for 1 year, and not in perpetuity? Meaning you'll have to make that call each year.

I presume your 20% discount is just for 1 year, and not in perpetuity? Meaning you'll have to make that call each year.

I presume so too (the "this year only" was only mentioned in relation to the initial offer of 10%, but I'd be amazed if I don't get a demand for the full amount again next year).

I guess we'll cross next year's bridge when we come to it. :).

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up. These guys are making a fortune from us, given once the equipment is paid for an installation completed, there's almost no work to be done ....

We need a bit of healthy competition to help keep their prices in check.

As anyone ever explored moving to ADT, to see what their prices or service is like ?

A neighbour recently mentioned he was moving his business to chublock. Will check that out for sure later and post back.

Back