Phone Interviews

kcat

Hi,

I have been shortlisted to attend for interview for a junior-middle mgt position in a large multinational in a fortnight. Unfortunately, I cannot attend and personnel have offered me the chance to do a phone interview. Im going to take it as I'm grateful for the op but what are the pros and cons of phone interviews?

Pro's

- you can buy for time more easily
- no concern about appearance
- you may be more focused on the questions as less distractions

Con's

- can be more difficult to make a connection with the interviewer
- you can't use body language to help make your point
- you may miss body language or other clues from interviewer

Another pro, you can lay out your CV, details about the company, questions you want to ask and other notes in front of you on the table where they can easily be referred to during the interview.

Another pro, you can lay out your CV, details about the company, questions you want to ask and other notes in front of you on the table where they can easily be referred to during the interview.

I always do that at an interview.... I usually have a folder containing:

- A few full copies of my resume, which I can give out, if the agency or HR summary is not up to scratch

- Samples of my work, particularly to demonstrate my writing skills

- A pad containing points I want to make and questions I want to ask, which I refer to during the interview

- Some times, articles relating to the company or documents they have published that I want to bring to their attention for one reason or another, with the intention of demonstrating where I can add value for them.

At the interview itself I always make sure that I get business cards or contact details for the people involved, so I have the option to get back in contact.

Jim.

can you do the interview by skype ? or reschedule ?

96% of communication is non- verbal.

96% of communication is non- verbal.

It's more generally accepted to be about 55%.

Separate tudies by Barbour and Mehrabian concluded 7% was through actual words used, 38% by pitch, tone, rythem, etc., and 55% non-verbal.

Many businesses rely on the telephone for regular communications, if you can strike up a raport with those on the call, that should demonstrate you have skills they will find valuable. The tone of your voice will take on extra significance, so start off with a nice upbeat tone, helps everyone relax into it and makes them more likely to start off with a positive impression of you. When talking about more serious topics such as previous experience, speak with authority, try not to hessitate too much.

I've been on the hiring end of phone interviews, if the candidate can hold a conversation and demonstrate they have the other skills required, we always follow up with an in-person interview.
Leo

I didnt mention in my original post that the interviewers already knew me from another job. Anyways, good news was that I got the post. Strange experience and although i had notes and key words near me, I couldnt refer to them at all. I ended up pacing the floor with the phone. Anyway, good result!

Back