Phone calls about switching provider

BH Hell

I recently recieved a phone call from a man asking me was I happy with my phone provider. I said yes and asked him how he got my number, he said it was on a system, I said, no chance. Anyway after a few minutes of gentle persuasion he told me that he just started diallying numbers i.e. 1234567, 1234568, 1234569 and so on. I was quite annoyed but also amused that he thought of doing this.
Anyway, just letting you know.

BH Hell said:
I recently recieved a phone call from a man asking me was I happy with my phone provider. I said yes and asked him how he got my number, he said it was on a system, I said, no chance. Anyway after a few minutes of gentle persuasion he told me that he just started diallying numbers i.e. 1234567, 1234568, 1234569 and so on. I was quite annoyed but also amused that he thought of doing this.
Anyway, just letting you know.

This is a common enough trick used by the cold callers. They have a list of STD codes and of valid prefixes for phone numbers, e.g. 01 55 and just add 000001 to get 01 5500001, 5500002, etc.

They have automatic dialers that do this and they can call you a number of times before you get someone on the other end of the line.
Do you ever get a number of calls that come up as private number on your system and there is nobody there and you think that it is a fault. Then the third time it rings it is a salesman. It is a very annoying process but it means that their operators are not waiting on the other end os a line for someone to answer.
The system in constantly dialing numbers and as soon as one answers they are connected to a free salesparson. If no salesperson is free when you answer then you get a dead line.
They save salespeoples time and you get annoying calls and they do not care.

I have been called 4 times now from perlico asking me to switch. Each time I tell them I'm busy and not to call me again. They have my name however. How can I get myself removed from their "books"? I don't want them calling me but they won't listen!

Judybaby73 said:
I have been called 4 times now from perlico asking me to switch. Each time I tell them I'm busy and not to call me again. They have my name however. How can I get myself removed from their "books"? I don't want them calling me but they won't listen!

Perlico wont listen - they keep ringing once they got your details, I have had 3 or 4 phone calls fom them, first one I told them ring back in 6 or 8 weeks as wasnt interested now, 2nd diff sales guy - told him same thing and asked not to be phoned, 3rd & 4 th time was last week and I told the sales persons that I was gonna report Perlico to Comreg and report both sales people as well seemed to do the trick - don't allow them to annoy you!

ComReg could have, but did not, ban random dialling. This was probably inresponse to pressure from the cold-calling marketing industry.

If you have your preference not to receive calls registered on the National Directory Database, the companies must not call you and risk a fine each time you do.

To register, contact your provider. For example, Eircom customer support.

This of course, did not prevent TalkTalk from calling people who didn't want calls. There's a separate thread about TalkTalk's illegal activities, which come to the attention of ComReg and the DPC.

Also, if a company (with whom you have no contract) has your personal details, you are entitled under the Data Protection act to have them deleted and also for that company to agree never to contact you. You must ask the company explicity. They can choose to require you to make the request in writing.

Other than disconnecting your phone, there's nothing that can be practically done to stop off-shore marketeers.

There is always the possible court action taken by the data protection office - see below case from 2005 (Optic)
[broken link removed]

onlineprint said:
There is always the possible court action taken by the data protection office - see below case from 2005 (Optic)
[broken link removed]
But the PDs don't like strong regulation of businesses.

Hence they've imposed an uncalled-for decentralisation of DPC and staff to Portarlington which will cause the DPC to lose all it's experts & will weaken it for many years.

I wonder if Comreg could be decentralised to Belmullet , that would improve things :D

Perlico have rang now about 3-4 times in the last week or two. This time I took the call & asked where did they get my number....they said from a store card which is BS. I stated that under data protection we never disclose our home number so I wanted to know how they got it. Also that I was contemplating contacting Comreg regarding this.... she hung up.

We are ex directory & have been removed from the NDD for quite a while now.

ninsaga

Back