Phoenix Park Racecourse

Still, they have the use of that ridiculous new train station that is supposed to be close to the development. We'll ignore the fact that Ashtown train station is, and always was, closer. I suppose it appeals to people who want a short drive and then hop on the train (I'm assuming there's parking up there).

Good stuff, aslo

>The scheme received a major boost in January with the opening of the new >€8 million train station, Phoenix Park station, beside the site.

Buyers beware that getting on to a train at Phoenix Park between 7:45 and 8:30 is pretty much impossible.

That is when the line isn't shut down for some reason.

beware that getting on to a train at Phoenix Park between 7:45 and 8:30 is pretty much impossible.

huh? do you travel on this train regularly? Plenty of room this morning at these times. It's at Ashtown that it get's busier. Granted, some morning's it can be a bit of a squeeze. Victim of it's own success and, IMHO, better than the alternatives. Ever lived and commuted in a city bigger than Dublin?

That is when the line isn't shut down for some reason.

Never been shut down in the last two years I've being using it. A signal fault on Wednesday evening was the first major 'shutdon' where I had to use alternative means to get home (bus).

I can't believe reading the above that people actually contemplate driving from PPR to Ashtown (non existent parking) / Phoenix park stations (pay parking). No wonder the roads are jam packed with traffic!:eek:

"Rental prospects at the scheme are good, according to Mark Dunne from Hooke & MacDonald, with two-bed apartments achieving around €1,500 and three-bedroom houses €1,850"

First ad up on daft is seeking rent of €1,250,
http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=ga2&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=2&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=20&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=533832
Mr. Dunne should have had a look there before making his statement.

what's the best bus no. to get out to this development from city centre? I want to go out and visit this evening.Thanks.

Just heard plans for the school have been scrapped.very disappointing but that's Ireland for you.Extreme money pinching in every corner now for schools.

do you really think it's feasible to build a school for 13 pupils? that's all that applied for the school, we'd have tiny schools on every corner of dublin if we followed your logic and our taxes would shoot through the roof.

huh? do you travel on this train regularly? Plenty of room this morning at these times. It's at Ashtown that it get's busier. Granted, some morning's it can be a bit of a squeeze. Victim of it's own success and, IMHO, better than the alternatives. Ever lived and commuted in a city bigger than Dublin?

Yes, i've used that train at those times for about 8 years. It's fairly bad especially on the 8:16 and the 8:06 during school term.

While the line has been vastly improved over the past 8 years, the frequency of trains has pretty much reached capacity ( short of building bridges over the traffic crossings at porterstown, ashtown and coolmine ), they're already max sized (8 carriages?) after the re-platforming of most of the stations on that line. Phoenix part is build as a big station with fairly big capacity, my guess is over the next few years this will be come a busy station and this combined increase together with increases from previous stations will result in prohibitively packed service.

Never been shut down in the last two years I've being using it. A signal fault on Wednesday evening was the first major 'shutdon' where I had to use alternative means to get home (bus).

Aside from the signalling fault you mention several trains have been cancelled in this line on recent weeks. At one stage pretty much one train a week going to maynooth ( e.g the 5:28 ) was cancelled for no reason, resulting in overcrowding on following trains. In the past few months alone has been several train breakdowns causing quite a lot of delays on this line.

Also, this line is currently affected by the overtime dispute.

Over 8 years I can honestly say that at least one train cancellation or lateness will affect your morning or evening commute every few weeks, that's without overcrowding.

I can't believe reading the above that people actually contemplate driving from PPR to Ashtown (non existent parking) / Phoenix park stations (pay parking). No wonder the roads are jam packed with traffic!:eek:

Having seen neighbours drive from Riverwood Estate to Coolmine station in the time that it takes me to walk, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Did you get the 37 during the recent shut down? I got on it at 5:10 and got to coolmine at 7pm?

I should have walked.

I don't know if they qualify as a bigger cities than Dublin but my experience of public transport in Utrech/Rotterdam/Amsterdam and Munich is infinately better than the shoddy excuse for a public transport service that caters for the Navan Road and Castleknock area.

Actually, the same could be said for the DART/South Dublin bus corridor when you compare it with the west Dublin commuter trains / "bus corridor"

Yes, i've used that train at those times for about 8 years. It's fairly bad especially on the 8:16 and the 8:06 during school term.

Agree, but it is a city we live in. Having lived in London, we're far better off over here with regards to overcrowding. What do people expect - a seat every morning? It's only 25 minutes from Coolmine to town, not the Trans Siberian railway.

my guess is over the next few years this will be come a busy station and this combined increase together with increases from previous stations will result in prohibitively packed service.

AGree, but still beats driving, IMO

Aside from the signalling fault you mention several trains have been cancelled in this line on recent weeks. At one stage pretty much one train a week going to maynooth ( e.g the 5:28 ) was cancelled for no reason, resulting in overcrowding on following trains. In the past few months alone has been several train breakdowns causing quite a lot of delays on this line.

Also, this line is currently affected by the overtime dispute.

Agree, but I've never been oiverly inconvenienced. The 8.17 ex-Coolmine generally leaves on time, the 18.08 from Pearse to Longford is consistently 5 - 6 minutes late, but nothing to get too excited about.

Having seen neighbours drive from Riverwood Estate to Coolmine station in the time that it takes me to walk, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Agree. I've seen people drive 800m to the station. And complain about the driving. And the lack of parking. Madness.

Did you get the 37 during the recent shut down? I got on it at 5:10 and got to coolmine at 7pm?

Knowing how bad rush hour traffic is in Dublin, I elected to get the 18.35 bus. Had me home in 40 minutes (Riverwood).

I don't know if they qualify as a bigger cities than Dublin but my experience of public transport in Utrech/Rotterdam/Amsterdam and Munich is infinately better than the shoddy excuse for a public transport service that caters for the Navan Road and Castleknock area.

What differs in Dublin is that we are almost unique in the developed world in having 80% of people travelling to work by car and a woefully sub-standard public transport system. This is directly opposite to Europe (I lived in Germany for a few years, so have first hand experience of a 1st class transport system, including Munich). However, we are still firmly wedded to the car, even where alternatives exist. From my experience, people are aghast that I have to stand on the train to work.

Actually, the same could be said for the DART/South Dublin bus corridor when you compare it with the west Dublin commuter trains / "bus corridor"[/quote]

Agree - Metro and LUAS extensions should be prioritised. There's still no rail line to Navan, despite 1000's of zinc ore being shipped from there daily to Dublin.

do you really think it's feasible to build a school for 13 pupils? that's all that applied for the school, we'd have tiny schools on every corner of dublin if we followed your logic and our taxes would shoot through the roof.

Hi derek

I think the enrollment policy was skewered and not promoted well enough for September as so many houses and apts to be built on this site, a plan of 4-5 years.It is mainly apts at the minute.Forward planning it would have bigger no.s., very surprised at no.s as local schools are bursting at the seams.People slow to move schools despite pupil ratios it seems.I know so many that signed up with 3-4 bed houses and next step was the school,just making it official.Lots will be disappointed but of course I can understand the end economics of it.

Agree, but it is a city we live in. Having lived in London, we're far better off over here with regards to overcrowding. What do people expect - a seat every morning? It's only 25 minutes from Coolmine to town, not the Trans Siberian railway.

I think we should be able to expect safe, reasonably comfortable transport. I think the seats should be removed totally from the commuter trains. I was in London for a short while too. I found being packed into a tube designed to be packed a bit easier than packed on to a train ill equiped to deal with larg numbers.

Anyways, give me a service with the ubiquity, interconnectivity and flexibility of the London underground over having to get train into connolly, bus to heuston and train to parkwest when I can throw a stone from my back garden over the liffey!!! It's a joke.

Knowing how bad rush hour traffic is in Dublin, I elected to get the 18.35 bus. Had me home in 40 minutes (Riverwood).

Good call!

From my experience, people are aghast that I have to stand on the train to work.

Agree. Totally.

Hi thanks, I am not used to ciclyng and I need to take other bus in town to go to stillorgan, I am not sure if it is safe to clicle down the quays and it would take me a long time. It would be much easier if it would be possible to cross the road for me ...also in the winter it is probably too cold or rainning. It is great if you have a safe path all the way. Of course I love phoenix park and definetly I will cycle in my free time.

All apartments in the phases sold out.. quickly.

I don't see how 415,000 is 'overpriced' when people are paying that to live in Stepaside and Bracken Hill and the like and there's no schools, no shops, no pubs and no public transport. Have you seen the interiors?
These are now asking €260k for 2 beds, they still can't sell them and there's nearly another 1800 apartments to go in there.

[broken link removed]

Back