Petrol vs Diesel

I have to say, i never once entertained the idea of buying a diesel car, but since my own (petrol) car clapped out on me, i have been driving my OH Pugeout 407 Diesel. I thought it would be loud and rattley but i cant believe how impressed i am with it. Its a lot quiter than i thought, the cost of fuel is (marginally) cheaper and i find that a tank of diesel lasts longer than a tank of petrol. I would definately consider a diesel when i change my car. But thats just my opinion.

ive always had a petrol car, but my latest car is a diesel. I dont think id ever buy a petrol car again unless it was something sporty!!

Then again i do alot of miles, and need big diesel engine for the amount of stuff i cart around with me so..

I have always driven petrol and my current car is diesel - I will never buy a petrol car again. I had a 1.6 l petrol and it cost around €50 per week to run it and now have a 2.2 diesel and it costs around €30 per week to run.

Even though I am a diesel veteran of more years than I care to remember, don't forget to factor in to your calculations the premium on the purchase price of diesel cars. The real benefit of diesel is when substantial mileage is involved, so if you only do small mileage, the benefit is eroded, if not completely cancelled. Having said that, diesels have more torque (pulling power), and are less hassle to maintain. Just keep changing your oil and filter regularly, and that's most of your regular maintenance covered. You may simply prefer them, even if the sums don't necessarily justify the choice. Just look at all the SUV/jeeps around the place. Many don't even have 4WD, or even a towbar, so they can't really be used to the full...but people still buy them!!

what engine size is the 407 GED if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry, complete typo ton my part. I meant to say a 406 :eek: OH has been talking so much lately about upgrading to the 407, its stuck in my head!! The 406 we have is a 1.9 and it really is a great car.

We were running a 1.6 petrol but found with the kids getting bigger that the 1.6 was getting fairly sluggish for over taking etc. Changed then to a diesel even though our mileage didn't really justify it, but I have to say find it far better to drive and has great acceleration when needed for overtaking as for my point earlier in my post.
Don't think I would go back to petrol now.

My last 2 cars have been diesel even though I only do limited mileage every year. Modern diesels are excellent both in performance and fuel economy. eg up to 50mpg from an A4. Similar size 1.6 petrols will struggle to do 30mpg. Also they will usually be as powerful if not more as their petrol equivalents. Most people who buy a diesel would never go back to petrol. Downside is they do cost an awful lot more but they also tend to hold their value better.

Back