Pesky Cats

Get used to it. They're not (presumably) doing any harm. Are you going to stop birds landing too?

Had trouble in my place where the local cats used my back garden as their loo. I bought a high frequency/ultrasonic emitter with a PIR in B&Q designed to scare them away. Seems to be doing the trick.

Get used to it. They're not (presumably) doing any harm.

I wouldn't mind neighbours cats paying a visit but they could conceiveably be doing harm if they are using it as a toilet. A bit OTT but some people are susceptible to toxoplasmosis http://www.babycenter.com/glossary/T

A cup/bucket of water directed at any offending cat will soon get the message across. It won't cause any lasting damage to cat either so no irate neighbours ringing your doorbell!

I also bought one of those ultrasonic thingies-and they work -but-beware
the absence of cats allowed other four legged creatures an easy life-so I turned it off and within 3 months found 3 dead mice and one dead rat in the garden.I decided then that maybe cats have a useful function afterall.

I have an issue with cats using my garden as a loo.
My 16 month old stood in some in my front garden, now I cannot get the smell of it off his shoes. At €40 a pair I cannot really afford to be throwing them away - any ideas how to get rid of the smell???
I would love a dog in order to keep the cats away - Mr Jam cannot be persuaded though!

I certainly would not advise a cup/bucket of water. That is just plain cruel, the cat doesn't understand that him/her doing their business in your garden is revolting. The cat could go into shock, and you wouldn't want that on your head.

Most cats bury their doings, but in the cases where they don't you could just do it yourself. It would be an awful lot easier than getting rid of mice/rats from your house.

We have our cats nine years, and in all of those years we haven't had a mouse since.

Think yourself lucky that you have been 'chosen' as a nice garden to visit by your furry neighbour.

That might have been dog poo instead of cats if it was in your front garden? Vinegar will get rid of the smell, but if there are grooves in the shoes, get a lollipop stick and wrap a 'Flash' cloth or something similar and clean the entire soul of the shoe.

I certainly would not advise a cup/bucket of water. That is just plain cruel, the cat doesn't understand that him/her doing their business in your garden is revolting. The cat could go into shock, and you wouldn't want that on your head.

Most cats bury their doings, but in the cases where they don't you could just do it yourself. It would be an awful lot easier than getting rid of mice/rats from your house.

We have our cats nine years, and in all of those years we haven't had a mouse since.

Think yourself lucky that you have been 'chosen' as a nice garden to visit by your furry neighbour.

The cat could go into shock....what about the child with toxoplasmosis??:eek:

Cats bury their business in my garden. I uncover it when planting, weeding etc. It is revolting!!

The cat would not have the intention of harming a child whilst pooing in a garden. The person throwing the water on the cat would have the intention of harming the cat.

The cat would not have the intention of harming a child whilst pooing in a garden. The person throwing the water on the cat would have the intention of harming the cat.

A moot point really. The child is still in potential danger!:(

I know, I know. One thing though, many cats do not poo in their own gardens, they go elsewhere (as witnessed by many of you). Why not make friends with the cat and they might poo elsewhere?!

Fill a water sprayer, water pistol etc. with a water and lemon or vinegar mix - cats can't abide citrus or vinegar smells. Spray at/near the cat whenever you see it - they are extremely quick learners and will associate your garden with horrible smells very quickly! I've also heard that smearing Vicks vapo rub on the top of your garden wall (or around the part of the fence etc. where they get in) will also scare them right off.

Scatter lemon/orange peel around the garden, particularly on newly-dug soil - cats much prefer soft 'disturbed' soil - and always, always cover sandpits etc. when not in use - looks for all the world like a giant litter tray to a cat!

Gotsomenow- you arew obviously an animal lover. Can I ask your views on whether cat owners have a moral obligation to provide their feline companion with a litter tray and training on how to use it?

My mother-in-law maintains cat poop makes good fertiliser...maybe someone else can confirm this? ;)

Our cat used to poop in other peoples gardens but since we've moved house she just poops in ours which is fine. I can understand people not wanting cat poop in their gardens especially if they don't like cats or have children. But most cats bury it... I think the odd un-neutured male may leave it on the surface to leave his mark on territory. But like some of the other posters, there is a certain security that comes with having a cat...no mice or rats!

I think the strong smell repellent would work. Cats hate strong smells...citrus, moth balls....

have never heard of a cat going into shock from having water thrown at it...can this happen?

The cat could go into shock, and you wouldn't want that on your head.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Does the cat go into shock everytime it rains ?

the cat doesn't understand that him/her doing their business in your garden is revolting

The cat will never understand that doing their business in a garden is a problem - no amount of sitting down and talking to them will get your point across. The only alternative therefore is to have them associate something unpleasant (i.e. the chance of getting wet) with a particular garden resulting in a poop-free zone.

What if I want to have mice in my garden and your cat is constantly scaring them away/killing them ? Mice are as entitled to an existence as cats.

Pellet gun that'll fix em :D

I can only hope that you're not serious Dobber? :(

It says [broken link removed] (clare animal welfare site)that The law covers dogs but not cats, they are termed a free spirit like a wild animal. You can't take someone to court because their cats are fowling your garden or spraying in their kitchen!

It looks like cats rule! :D

I can only hope that you're not serious Dobber? :(

It says [broken link removed] (clare animal welfare site)that The law covers dogs but not cats, they are termed a free spirit like a wild animal. You can't take someone to court because their cats are fowling your garden or spraying in their kitchen!

It looks like cats rule! :D

So if you did shoot one it would be legal to do so if it strayed onto your property you could claim that you were indeed protecting yourself from the free spirited wild animal ..... Interesting..:D

Back