Personal Space

Carry a whoppee cushion under your arm, the minute they come to close press on it, I would be gone like a shot anyway if it were me in your space!

Woman up my back in Superquinn once. Everytime I moved an inch forward she did likewise. I asked her with a perfectly straight face if she wanted a jockey back!

The youngsters on the checkout could not stop laughing and she was mortified.

My brother has a trick of rocking back and forward, emitting a low level hum, gradually getting faster and louder when people stand too close to him - he says it never fails.

I also know someone who simply turns round and grins maniacally at the person behind.

Me, I prefer frantically start scratching the back of my head with both hands if possible:)

Lots of comments from the cheap seats:D

I was actually going to say piggy back to be posh, but then thought, nah, I would never say piggy back, it was always a jockey back!

The woman did not take me up on my kind offer!

Hate anyone in my personal space, especially when they're so close and insist on making conversation that some of their spit hits you right on the face.

Worst of all in a busy pub when you're trying to buy some drinks and the bar person decides every man should be served first, even though you've been waiting longer, drives me mad.

I was in the Stillorgan shopping centre on Monday, before 10.a.m and decided to park my car in the "empty" section away from the other cars huddled close to the supermarket. When I returned to my car there was a woman who had just parked her car next to mine despite there being dozens of empty spaces available all around! This happened in Woodies car park last week. They had parked so close I had difficulty opening my door. Again there were empty spaces all around. Drives...me mad!

I was in the Stillorgan shopping centre on Monday, before 10.a.m and decided to park my car in the "empty" section away from the other cars huddled close to the supermarket. When I returned to my car there was a woman who had just parked her car next to mine despite there being dozens of empty spaces available all around! This happened in Woodies car park last week. They had parked so close I had difficulty opening my door. Again there were empty spaces all around. Drives...me mad!

I'm with you on this one - if possible, I usually park beside some vacant spaces so as to make it easy to get in/out and so that my doors dont get banged by a careless driver in the next space.

I have a relative who always parks beside another car even if the carpark is empty [I dont think she's the woman who parked beside you as she doesnt live anywhere near Stillorgan!]. After seeing her do this a few times while travelling with her I asked her why? The reason is that some driving instructors teach people how to park using adjacent cars as visual aides to straigthen up the car in the space & practice this as it is sometimes tested in a driving test. So my relative learned to park a car using an adjacent car as an aid rather than using the white lines on the ground. She admitted that she finds it more difficult to use the white lines because she's so used to the method she was thought. And to be honest, I believe her - car is always crooked if she has to park somewhere with no adjacent cars. I expect that there are a lot of similar drivers out there

I was out in Dundrum early one morning to pick up a car seat for my new daughter. I had my son with me so parked in a parent and child parking spot. There was about 3 spaces occupied in the whole car park.

Yet while I struggled to fit the car seat and therefore had the passenger door wide open, some woman drove into the car park and proceeded to wait with engine running because my passenger door was blocking the car space which she wanted to use. This despite that fact that there was about another 200+ empty spaces in the car park!

Took me ages to fit that car seat :D

This strange phenomena often applies to people sitting in cafes/restaurants too - when I used to work in a restaurant where people sat themselves they, more often than not, would go and sit next to the only other occupied table in the place. A throwback to hunter gatherer/safety in crowds??!

Women may do this as we are great multi tasking,and time management.

If you are getting your coffee,they are making use of their time,instead of standing around doing nothing, by getting the sugar,spoon etc ready .That way the next persons isn't delayed.

You see we are a lot busier than the men,usually rushing around and trying to do several things at once.;)

It also happens in the clothes shop when you are standing looking at something and someone comes along and starts looking at the same item of clothing as you. They stand beside you and take a great interest as you move the clothes along the clothes rack. My self and my wife call this the "is there a magnet on my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language" effect.

If you stand back and stare at the person they usually scurry off until they find the next person.

It also happens in the clothes shop when you are standing looking at something and someone comes along and starts looking at the same item of clothing as you. They stand beside you and take a great interest as you move the clothes along the clothes rack. My self and my wife call this the "is there a magnet on my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language" effect.

If you stand back and stare at the person they usually scurry off until they find the next person.

We turn this into a game and find the most obscure thing we can in the shop, stand looking at it, holding it and cooing over it just to see how long before someone else comes over..

I wouldn't have thought women are the main offenders - men definitely do it too. My tip if you're in a queue is to move yourself and your bag around and sort of jostle them with the bag if possible. I also don't move forward much and leave a nice space in front of me because I think that drives them mad, and makes it look more obvious that they are too close.

I tried leaving the space in front of me at the post office, but the oul fella behind me says to his mate...that one in the fur coat isn't going anywhere...I replied..'Are you in a hurry? I was incensed, what is their problem? One other thing that really annoys me is women who are completely mean to their kids in the queue, honestly I wouldn't talk to my dog the way some women talk to their kids...then the kids start crying...I wonder why?

Yet I have seen the Dad queueing in Mc Donalds. He waits until he gets to the counter before turning to the kids and asking them what they want. Then gets annoyed with them when they delay in making up their minds!

Probably the same idiot who waits at the traffic lights for the lights to turn green, then and only then puts on his indicator.

Back