Person on disability applying for local housing

dubdub123

Hi, im looking ahead for my son and trying to help him be setup for the future regarding housing. Right now he is a teen attending school, living at home with myself and his sister. He is autistic and in receipt of disability allowance. We have a mortgage on our 3 bed home.

Can he apply for local authority housing in Dublin once he turns 18? What is involved and needed for an application? Would he even be considered while living at home?

There seems to be different types of housing such as choice based lettings etc.. is it all under one application?

Along with being autistic, he has mental health issues and ongoing self harm issues. Right now he needs to be at home supported. He has sleep issues, and has just started medication. He is extremely intelligent and when in the zone he can talk about his hobbies endlessly, but other timeshe needs to retreat into his room for peace. I realise the waiting lists are around 10 years long for houses so wondering could he get his name down young.
To be honest one main concern is that if I pass away and leave the house to both by son and daughter that she would effectively be taking on a carers role. If she wasnt living here, a 3 bed house would be too much for him to look after.

Any guidance appreciated

Any use?

Back